German Shepherds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna pull the trigger on contacting a breeder soon. I've been doing a little research and I'm convinced this is the pup I want.

Anyone have one? Don't be afraid to show pics.

Love em, don't have one. The hair they shed would drive my OCD personality crazy!

I've got a Shepherd mix. Great dogs, always liked them best of all. Just be carefull with their back ends. They have alot of issues with them.

They tend to get arthritis etc in their hindquarters.

Mine was a big baby. But yeah, since he passed I notice a lot LESS fur laying around the house.

Ize

Ize said:
They tend to get arthritis etc in their hindquarters.

Mine was a big baby. But yeah, since he passed I notice a lot LESS fur laying around the house.

Ize
Yeah that's basically it. They were bred for that long, sloping stance/gait. It causes problems later in life. It's called hip dysplacia(sp?). My dog is starting to have some issues now, he's going on 13yrs old but it can show up younger.

A German Shepard was my first dog and he was great. About the only complaint I had was that he tended to get into fights a lot. They do leave a lot of hair around as well but that was to be expected when I got him. The thing with some breeds is hip problems as the dogs age.

2nd Street Brewery said:
Yeah that's basically it. They were bred for that long, sloping stance/gait. It causes problems later in life. It's called hip dysplacia(sp?). My dog is starting to have some issues now, he's going on 13yrs old but it can show up younger.

That's it! Couldn't think of the name. As far as behavior, like most breeds it's all in how they're raised.

Ize

I have had 3 of them and if I was going to get another dog (the SWMBO has a lap dog) that's exactly what I would get. They are great around kids, very loyal, loads of fun, very smart and easily trained.

My girlfriend's family runs Von Wilhendorf Kennels, they breed and train some of the best german shepherds in the world. Hip dysplasia is a problem, but the better breeders test for it and will tell you if the dog is prone to dysplasia (often their dogs will not have it, since they work pretty hard on breeding that trait out). But anyway, let me know if you want me to put you in contact with them--they often place very highly in the top-level American and German shows, but they don't do American Kennel Club. Their dogs are all part of Schaeferhund Verein (among other clubs), a very rigorous club that adheres to the original German breed standards. Check out www.germanshepherddogs.com for the USA branch. Yeah, that's probably more than you wanted to know, but they have some fantastic dogs...really smart, affectionate, well-trained, and really pretty.

I grew up with a german and when my wife decided she wanted a dog we got another. One of the best things about them is their intelligence. One of the worse things about them is their intelligence. They will learn things you don't want and it is hard to train them otherwise. Try to get one that has had some training young, even years later they will remember it.

I have a nice 2 year old pure bred shepherd from German and Czech lines (so I was told by a trainer/breeder)-- nice dog, very protective, playful--

Absolutely HATES cats, and does not like strangers. Nice dog, though, and I will have another someday. The hair-shedding thing is not to be underestimated though.

My parents have one, and unfortunately it has hip dysplasia. He gets a shot every month and takes pills daily. You wouldn't know he has it though if he takes everything. That dog is fast as heck. So I would say to make sure the breeder has hip certifications. Most good breeders will give you a hip, eye, and sometimes shoulders certifications. He also barks alot, but I think my parents could have trained him better with that.

I am a lab man myself, mainly because I use mine to hunt. I couldn't ask for a better dog. I think the key in any dog training is socialization, so be sure to take your young pup everywhere you go. Take them into construction zones, stores, parks, everywhere you can think of.

Shameless pic of my dog, Deke (short for Decoy):
openingday04.jpg

A former SWMBO had 2 shepards, one purebred and one shepard mix from the pound. Both great dogs, the purebred was one of the smartest dogs I've ever seen. They definitely shed ALOT I would have to use duct tape to de-fur my clothes every day.

One of my sisters also has a shepard, she got it from an agency that trains seeing eye dogs, this one didn't quite make the grade though... Still a very smart dog and she came completely trained and house broken and she's great with kids. It's something worth checking out. I'll try to find out the agency my sister went through and re-post if I find anything.

If it's going to be an indoor dog I would rethink it.

They shed like crazy! It gets real old after awhile having dog hair everywhere.

One of my pups is part GS and the shedding got so bad I started shaving her. I was at a restraunt and found her hair in my food. I couldn't escape it!

I like this excerpt from this site: http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/germanshepherds.html

----------------
Heavy shedding. German Shepherds shed only once a year -- for 365 days. In other words, they shed constantly. You'll find hair and fur all over your clothing, upholstery, carpeting, under your furniture, on your countertops -- even in your food. Frequent vaccuming will become a way of life. Make sure you're REALLY up for this.
----------------

If there was a pill - I'd have a GS in a heartbeat. :(. Friend of mine has a beautiful female GS and she has two of those robot vacs running around all day.

I've never had a Shepherd, I'm more into bird dogs, but I have a friend that is on his third German Shepherd, all were/are inside dogs. His first two were a father/son duo named Barley and Hops. What great dogs.

Shepherds are the best dogs. I have a pure bred from eastern Europe, she is almost all black. The most loyal, obedient dogs you could imagine, with lots of energy to play. The hair just makes you clean more often, they shed about a dog's worth every couple of weeks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49241816@N00/304450995/

I don't know how to post pics so that is a link to a kind of bad picture of her.

I had a Weimeraner before and love them too, but the German Shepherd seems smarter and definitely more obedient.

rossthompson said:
Shepherds are the best dogs. I have a pure bred from eastern Europe, she is almost all black. The most loyal, obedient dogs you could imagine, with lots of energy to play. The hair just makes you clean more often, they shed about a dog's worth every couple of weeks.

I don't know how to post pics so that is a link to a kind of bad picture of her.

I had a Weimeraner before and love them too, but the German Shepherd seems smarter and definitely more obedient.

MMM...she's beautiful.

Thanks everyone for the comments/advice/info.

I'm def in love with the GSDs. The hair doesn't bother me, we have two dogs that shed pretty bad now. We have to vacuum quite a bit.

The only real worry I have about getting a GSD pup is training it. I fully intend on doing the dog obedience training at our local petsmart or some place like that--but our other two dogs are total a-holes and I'm afraid that will hold the GSD back from training. Our other 2 dogs listen, they won't run away, stay in the yard, etc, but they bark incessantly and I don't want the shepherd to pick up that habit especially. We'll see how it goes, but I'm going to start contacting breeders to possibly get a pup by late summer.

2nd Street Brewery said:
I've got a Shepherd mix. Great dogs, always liked them best of all. Just be carefull with their back ends. They have alot of issues with them.

My Shep Mix was the best dog I ever had, but he had the weakest stomach ever! Anything but a certain kind of bland dog food and he got the runs. They also have hip problems later in life so I'd suggest getting pet insurance when it gets around 4-5 years old. Hip surgery for sheps can be really expensive. Good luck to you! I miss old Floyd every day.

Many GSDs in the US are being bred for the highly sloping rear. I would look for one of the older style with the more level back. They are more likely to have better hips. If a breeder refused to show me OFA or Penn Hip certificates for hips and elbows on the parents I would run away. I would ask the ages of death of the ancestry for 3 generations back. ( a clue but not proof of the potential longevity of that line). I would look towards the longer haired lines. The shorter haired lines have had more health issues in my experience.

This is a terrific breed of dog if you are willing to do your share with training and socialization for the life of the dog. They are among the smarter breeds as a rule and are a take charge breed. This means that if they sense a vacuum in human leadership they may try to take over. That can have very negative results for both the dogs and the humans. IMHO they do not shed worse than many breeds but this comes from living with 2 Goldens, 2 Newfs and 2 Maine Coon Cats. Those breeds shed!!!

Good luck in your search

Doug

Dude said:
...but they bark incessantly and I don't want the shepherd to pick up that habit especially.

Shepherds usually aren't barkers but they talk a lot. Can't wait to see the new pup when the day comes!
:mug:

Congrats on the choice to get yourself another man's best friend. Dogs are amazing creatures. Though i have never had a Shepard, i have heard good things from them- except that they shed. clearly right? :)
The only advice i would offer is make sure to get a good look at both parents to see skin, coat, teeth, eyes, and demeaner. I also agree that mixed dogs tend to have less problems through out their lives, but thats not always the case. I got lucky with my little Dingo pup- free and amazing :)

Anyways, i sound like a rep, but it really matters what type of dog food you feed your animal. I feed Nutro, and believe it or not, it has something in it that combats fleas- i live in FL (flea capital) and my dog doesnt have fleas, and he is not on any spot-on product i.e. frontline, advantage, bio-spot. (A little background info: my parents own a large exotic animal pet store) my family called the company to enquire about this flea preventative, as they dont mention any flea repellants on the package, and they confirmed that they have been known for that, and heard it from many people, but they havnt gone through any formal testing.

Anyways, sorry for the long post :) Good luck with your new pup! :)

rossthompson said:

My FIL has a large black shep. About a year old now and walks off the lead no problems. Takes a lot of excerise (as with most dogs)

I can mirror most of the comments above-- my GSD has the more squared back end, and our vet has assured us she will likely not have any hip problems because of this, so this is something you may want to look for.

Our dog came from a GSD rescue-- ours was bought from a breeder as a pure-bred, then abused as a pup--consequently, she became shy and fearful of people. The abusive owners took her to the pound, and the pound directed the dog to the rescue.

We've done a lot of rehab with the dog, and now she is a playful, happy, trusting, protective, and loyal companion. Even though I've had my share of cusswords at her, I wouldn't trade her for anything. The funny thing is she is absolute best friends with my brittany spaniel. Talk about an interesting pair. One dog won't go anywhere without the other.

I have a GSD, well, she's a bit of a mix really, they say she has a bit of Husky. She's a great dog, but she does shed a TON! They are very smart and easy to train. I think the key would be to take the dog to a simple obediance class without the other two dogs. Do the class twice, once with your GSD, and then you and SWMBO each take the other two dogs through the class together.
<soapbox>
The big difference for me though would be to try to find one at a rescue or from another owner. There are so many dogs in shelters, rescues, and kennels, and GSD's are so popular you're bound to find one. We got our Shepherd through an owner needing to get rid of her due to allergies, and we got our Husky through the local shelter, 2 years old, trained, well behaved; a stray no one cared enough to check the humane society for. Two great dogs, nearly free, already spayed and nuetered, and possibly saved from euthenasia. I'm not one of those people who gets mad when people buy from breeders or stores, but I will never do that again. There are just too many good animals out there on death row.
</soapbox>
( I understand some people may be looking for purebreds to show or breed and thats a whole different matter.)

Just wanted to pass along a great dog trainer/author. I used Richard Wolters "Game Dog" for training and absolutely loved it. He makes training so easy. He uses tried and true old school methods and it's super easy to understand. He has a book called "Family Dog" and I'm sure it will be just as good as his others. With this book you probably won't even need classes. I had my pup doing all the basic obedience commands by the time he was 3 months old.

Just a super easy way to train.

Here's the book on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Family-Dog-Richard-Wolters/dp/0525944729/sr=8-1/qid=1172258878/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-4407103-2660659?ie=UTF8&s=books

Last edited by a moderator:
Back