German pils as base in a stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoshin

Shoshin Picobrewery
Reaction score
Hi all; I have abt 25# of German pils but no other base grains on hand and I have a hankering for a stout. Has anyone brewed a stout with German pils as the base? Even if you haven't, are there any opinions on how this kith turn out? I'm thinking something along these lines for a 5.5 gal batch:

10# German pils
1# roasted barley
1# flaked oats
1# pale chocolate
.5# C120

Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sounds good to me. Are you planning to mash high and bring out some sweetness, or go low and aim for a dry stout?

I have a few sweet dark beers in bottles right now so I was thinking of going more on the dry side, likely 148 to 150. My mash tun is likely to lose a few degrees over the hour, so ini start at 150 I'll run up around 147, which puts me closer to dry than sweet

Was planning an ale yeast (wlp001/saf ale 05), but I think I will try this next time with wlp810

I have done it a few times and liked it a lot. I like the grainy mouthfeel it gives

Back