German Chocolate Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mindsore

Reaction score
so i have just started my 2nd ever batch of brew. it was set to be a German Alt style. only problem is i added 4 times the amount of chocolate and black Patent grains. long story........ best i can tell is i will end up with some kind of bitter,chocolate dark or imperial stout? any thoughts?

Give it 6 - 12 months to age and it may mellow out enough. Try one a month until it tastes OK. I had a Belgian with anise that I almost tossed because I underestimated the potency of anise. It was undrinkable for the first 6 months. After a year it was one of my favorite brews.

hahahaa.. i was afraid i would hear something like this. the liquid yeast said to consume within 4 months after bottling. guess i should shoot for then?

Most likely the yeast package said to use it within 4 months of its manufacturing date, not your bottling date. Once the yeast have done their noble duty and fermented your beer, you can keep the bottled beer for at least a year and even longer with no problems.

Most likely the yeast package said to use it within 4 months of its manufacturing date, not your bottling date. Once the yeast have done their noble duty and fermented your beer, you can keep the bottled beer for at least a year and even longer with no problems.

This. Let it mature, may be a fantastic beer in the end.

Back