George Stranahan, Benefactor of Physicists and Bar Flies, Dies at 89

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been a fan since the 90s. Sign was "borrowed" from a bar in Ann Arbor :p

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 8
I visited the Stranahan distillery in Denver a few years ago but our guide never mentioned any of this so it was quite a surprise when I read the obit. He did say that it was formerly a brewery, which they converted to a distillery. Would it have been the original Flying Dog?

I visited the Stranahan distillery in Denver a few years ago but our guide never mentioned any of this so it was quite a surprise when I read the obit. He did say that it was formerly a brewery, which they converted to a distillery. Would it have been the original Flying Dog?
The original was in Aspen. Then they expanded into Denver and moved operations there. Later, after the brand caught fire and they wanted to go nationally, they bought out a local (for me) east coast operation that had struggled, but had a huge, modern brewing facility. It proved so successful for FD that they consolidated everything at the eastern facility. At least that's the story as I know it.

No. Stranahan bought the old site of the Heavenly Daze Brewery (adjunct from great brewery in Steamboat). The original Stranahan brewery was Broadway Brewing (owned by Flying Dog and Wynkoop) at Broadway and Walnut. It was there from 1994 to 2008, before moving to Maryland.

Last edited:
No. Stranahan bought the old site of the Heavenly Daze Brewery (adjunct from great brewery in Steamboat). The original Stranahan brewery was Broadway Brewing (owned by Flying Dog and Wynkoop) at Broadway and Walnut. It was there from 1994 to 2008, before moving to Maryland.
I remember spending a few evenings at Wynkoop’s down by the Rockies’ ballpark. Is that the same one? Had a bar and a sit-down restaurant and a second floor pool hall. Never got past the bar (or the pool & snooker tables).

Thanks for the update!

I remember spending a few evenings at Wynkoop’s down by the Rockies’ ballpark. Is that the same one? Had a bar and a sit-down restaurant and a second floor pool hall. Never got past the bar (or the pool & snooker tables).
The Stranahan Distillery was on the site of the old Heavenly Daze Brewery south of downtown on Kalamath. Wynkoop Brewing Company/Brewpub was/is about 3 blocks SW of Coors Field. It was the first brewpub in Colorado. It was then partly owned by John Hickenlooper (now Senator). I believe because of State restrictions on how much beer brewpubs could produce and sell, Hickenlooper and Stranahan (and the McIntyre family) of Flying Dog, joined and formed Broadway Brewing (which was about 3 blocks NE of Coors) in the old Silver State Laundry Company building. It could produce about 20K bbls/year, and was either the 1, 2 or 3 largest craft brewery in the State -- not including Coors and AB.
Wynkoop was and is a fun pub.

The Stranahan Distillery was on the site of the old Heavenly Daze Brewery south of downtown on Kalamath. Wynkoop Brewing Company/Brewpub was/is about 3 blocks SW of Coors Field. It was the first brewpub in Colorado. It was then partly owned by John Hickenlooper (now Senator). I believe because of State restrictions on how much beer brewpubs could produce and sell, Hickenlooper and Stranahan (and the McIntyre family) of Flying Dog, joined and formed Broadway Brewing (which was about 3 blocks NE of Coors) in the old Silver State Laundry Company building. It could produce about 20K bbls/year, and was either the 1, 2 or 3 largest craft brewery in the State -- not including Coors and AB.
Wynkoop was and is a fun pub.
Great succinct history. Used to spend a LOT of time in Denver, ‘92 to 2013. Wynkoop was fun. Baby Doe’s near Mile High Stadium was also a good time, but I guess it’s been closed for years.

Back