Generic Growlers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtB

I may be drunk, but I'm not sure.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anybody know of a good source for plain screw top growlers? I am looking for about 6-10 of either the 64 or maybe the 32oz size.

I have a number of friends that like my beer, and would sometimes like to take some of it home. I don't mind sending them home with a growler full, but I would rather send them with a generic/blank one than one of the growlers that I purchased at a brewery.

I would prefer a plain one over the "generic" ones like the "Every ounce counts" ones that Northern Brewer sells so that I can etch them with my own design.

I saw the ones at Bottle Solutions (more specifically the amber instead of the clear ones) after I posted my initial request. Do you have any experience with this company?

I forgot to look at Midwest or Austin Home Brew. It looks like AHS has them for the same price as Midwest, and shipping is lower.

Anybody else have an inexpensive source? Or maybe somebody in the Chicago area know of a local place I can pick some up for a great price?

If the paint on them is similar to beer bottle paint a Starsan soak would turn a brewery growler into a plain one.

I saw the ones at Bottle Solutions (more specifically the amber instead of the clear ones) after I posted my initial request. Do you have any experience with this company?

Sorry, no. Let us know what you end up going with though and how it all works out.

Look at FreundContainer.com. They also have an anniversary special going. I purchase my 12 oz and 22 oz bottles there.

I really like the clear ones. You can see the color of the beer. If amber is meant to keep out the light I have to say that mine won't be in there that long.

Brew and grow in Bolingbrook,I know they have a few different locations around the area

Look at FreundContainer.com. They also have an anniversary special going. I purchase my 12 oz and 22 oz bottles there.

Thanks. It also looks like they are only a couple hours from home so I could do a local pickup the next time work sends me down that way. I will have to keep them in mind.

I will have to check them out. I like the price on the growlers. If the shipping is reasonable and they have some other stuff at a good price that I need, they may be the winner.

I really like the clear ones. You can see the color of the beer. If amber is meant to keep out the light I have to say that mine won't be in there that long.

I would not be worried about them being clear if they were for my own use, but my friends may not be as careful as I am. It doesn't take long to skunk beer by accidentally leaving it on the kitchen counter in the sunlight for a day or two before they get around to drinking it.

Brew and grow in Bolingbrook,I know they have a few different locations around the area

Thanks jessej122. Welcome to the forums! I keep forgetting about Brew and Grow, and there are two locations that are fairly close to me (Bolingbrook and Roselle).

I will have to check them out. I like the price on the growlers. If the shipping is reasonable and they have some other stuff at a good price that I need, they may be the winner.
Have no idea what their shipping is like. Keystone Homebrew is who I use as my LHBS. They're a half hour from my house. About the only thing I don't buy there now is bulk hops. Great people!

For individuals, why go for a full half-gallon? You can get a case (12) of single quart flip-tops here for ~$3 each. (And there's undoubtedly all sorts of other suppliers for those.)

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/case-of-12-32-oz-ez-cap-beer-bottles-amber.html

While it's nice to send friends home with a beer, 64 oz is a *lot* of beer. And if you still wanted to give that much away, 2x 32 oz growlers perhaps with two different selections would work well too... More variety ;-)

Thanks for the input bwarbiany.

I don't really see 64 oz as a "*lot*" of beer. It is less than a 6 pack of 12oz bottles, and it is not like I am sending them home with beer every week. Normally it is after a party that we host every couple of months for the school faculty where my wife works.

I do have a few 32oz swing top bottles, and will probably pick up a few more for the very reason you stated of sending home a couple different types of beer if that is what they want.

Unless I can find an inexpensive source for the swing tops, the 64oz growlers are actually quite a bit cheaper.

Midwest Supplies - 12 of the 32oz swing top bottles - $35.99 ($51.35 shipped)
Keystone Home Brew - 6 of the 64oz growlers - $19.95 ($35.94 shipped)

Back