General sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GK@BCB

Reaction score
I am just getting started and have some questions regarding sanitation.

I was given C-brite as a sanitizer and cleanser. The instructions recommend air drying. I noticed there is a slight film and chlorine odor after the product dries. Will this affect the flavor of the beer? Should I rinse with tap water afterward?

If I rinse materials prior to the sanitizer being completely dry (in siphon tubing) will this affect sanitation?

Thanks.

I wouldn't bother rinsing. C-Brite is designed as a no rinse. I have used both Star-San and One-Step, I usually use One-Step now as it is much cheaper and very effective. Neither Star-San nor One-Step will leave a chlorine smell.

dantodd said:
I wouldn't bother rinsing. C-Brite is designed as a no rinse. I have used both Star-San and One-Step, I usually use One-Step now as it is much cheaper and very effective. Neither Star-San nor One-Step will leave a chlorine smell.
Careful now. Claims that One-Step is a sanitizer (let alone a no-rinse sanitizer) may well start up the old "is it a sanitizer or not" debate!

The "air dry" step is there to prevent you from rinsing. The idea being that you can sanitize something, let it dry in a clean environment, and use it later. You can skip the drying step and move right to transferring your wort/beer into the wet, non-rinsed container.

So it's not necessary for C-brite to dry in order to sanitize, correct?

And no need to worry about the chlorine odor from the C-brite?

I wouldn't worry about things being bone-dry, c-brite shouldn't affect the beer. I would recommend switching to a different sanitizer though, that stuff can get expensive and other sanitizers don't leave that chlorine smell.

Back