General Pinlock Keg Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumbrewindude

Reaction score
So, I searched - I did, but I've got some minor questions from those that know a lot more about this than me.

I finally got my pinlocks apart and started the process of cleaning/refurbing them and ran into a few questions that I can't find some answers for -

1) It appears I have two different types of pin locks, a couple Firestone series without the angled dip tube and different style connectors/poppets to the Cornelius series(?) pinlock. The poppets and hook ups are different (obviously), is there a way that I can convert the Firestone hook ups to the Cornelius style to keep everything the same?

2) How do you know if a poppet needs to be replaced? All the kegs held pressure, even with some terrible orings that will be replaced, and in taking apart the hook ups to get all the shredded old black oring particles out I got a good look at the poppets - some are marginal but holding. Replace now or as necessary?

3) I've been looking at CIP solutions once I get these back up to snuff, and saw that commercially they use a different solution to the usual oxy/pbw that's tossed around here. Locally I can get stainless CIP solutions, but I'm not sure what effect they'll have on the rubber/orings of the kegs as I can't figure out what manufacturers are using for keg cleaning. Any ideas for a corney system?

My new oring order from McMaster should be arriving shortly, and I hope to get the CIP ball to build a keg washer by the end of the week. I've got two weeks before one of the kegs needs to be ready for beer so while this stuff isn't ohmygoshIneedinforightnow, insight would be appreciated!

:mug:

1 - Probably not. Check out this handy page covering keg post thread sizes.

2 - Anything that looks questionable should be replaced now so you can test the fully assembled keg before putting it into service. Avoid "bitey things".

3 - I have 14 kegs in service (13 with beer in them as of last night) and never felt the need for a CIP system. I kicked a keg just last night, swapped in a fresh keg and stuck the kicked keg in one of my fridges, then fully broke it down, cleaned, lubed, reassembled and sanitized it in the kitchen with my super-duper faucet attachment (6 feet of 1/2" vinyl tubing on a female hose adapter) in 15 minutes this afternoon, just before pulling the first pint of the day :mug:

Been doing it this way for years. No big deal...

Cheers!

So, I searched - I did, but I've got some minor questions from those that know a lot more about this than me.

I finally got my pinlocks apart and started the process of cleaning/refurbing them and ran into a few questions that I can't find some answers for -

1) It appears I have two different types of pin locks, a couple Firestone series without the angled dip tube and different style connectors/poppets to the Cornelius series(?) pinlock. The poppets and hook ups are different (obviously), is there a way that I can convert the Firestone hook ups to the Cornelius style to keep everything the same?

2) How do you know if a poppet needs to be replaced? All the kegs held pressure, even with some terrible orings that will be replaced, and in taking apart the hook ups to get all the shredded old black oring particles out I got a good look at the poppets - some are marginal but holding. Replace now or as necessary?

3) I've been looking at CIP solutions once I get these back up to snuff, and saw that commercially they use a different solution to the usual oxy/pbw that's tossed around here. Locally I can get stainless CIP solutions, but I'm not sure what effect they'll have on the rubber/orings of the kegs as I can't figure out what manufacturers are using for keg cleaning. Any ideas for a corney system?

My new oring order from McMaster should be arriving shortly, and I hope to get the CIP ball to build a keg washer by the end of the week. I've got two weeks before one of the kegs needs to be ready for beer so while this stuff isn't ohmygoshIneedinforightnow, insight would be appreciated!

:mug:

One school of thought (and the one I subscibe to) is that with the exception of the lid new keg parts are less than $3 each. It's much easier and cheaper to replace a questionable poppet, or flat oring now than to come home to 4-5 gallons of beer in the bottom of a keezer (or even worse on a floor!).

It happened to me once, I won't let it happen again, it was a bad poppet that caused my keezer lake... :(

One school of thought (and the one I subscibe to) is that with the exception of the lid new keg parts are less than $3 each. It's much easier and cheaper to replace a questionable poppet, or flat oring now than to come home to 4-5 gallons of beer in the bottom of a keezer (or even worse on a floor!).

It happened to me once, I won't let it happen again, it was a bad poppet that caused my keezer lake... :(

That would be a "bitey thing"...

Cheers! (and sorry for your loss, of course. I draw a sip on the house IPA in its honor :mug: )

1 - Probably not. Check out this handy page covering keg post thread sizes.

2 - Anything that looks questionable should be replaced now so you can test the fully assembled keg before putting it into service. Avoid "bitey things".

3 - I have 14 kegs in service (13 with beer in them as of last night) and never felt the need for a CIP system. I kicked a keg just last night, swapped in a fresh keg and stuck the kicked keg in one of my fridges, then fully broke it down, cleaned, lubed, reassembled and sanitized it in the kitchen with my super-duper faucet attachment (6 feet of 1/2" vinyl tubing on a female hose adapter) in 15 minutes this afternoon, just before pulling the first pint of the day :mug:

Been doing it this way for years. No big deal...

Cheers!

Massively helpful, thanks for that web page. :mug:

It would appear that I have quite the mashup of pieces in the kegs looking at the info, but they held pressure when I got them so I'm sure after I strip/clean everything up and put in new o-rings they'll be good to go.

Just wasn't sure on the popit thing - looks like I may eventually upgrade them all, but not immediately so. Of the 6 kegs only two are truly questionable, and I'm sure I'll have an order into AIH before I fill them.

Thanks again!

Back