general crush question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just a curiosity question..... After you crack your grain how long do you wait if at all to mash your grains? more specifically I was at my lhbs today and picked up appx 10 lbs of grain... I don't have a mill so I had him crush my grain only problem is I probably won't brew until wensday or thursday..... is that ok? maybe I'm just being paranoid or maybe there is merit to my concern and to you brewers more knowledgeable than I .... I pose this question. :mug:

you'll be fine.. I've waited as long as 2 weeks before brewing with grain that was crushed at my LHBS. Now that I have a barley crusher, I crush right before doughing in.

You'll definitely be ok. Before I got a mill I purchased several all grain kits already crushed from AHS. Shipping takes several days and even then I might not be able to brew for another week after that. Just keep it in a cool dry place. So what are you brewing?

Crushed grain will last a long time if stored properly. Dry and cool pt is likely good for weeks easily, well sealed and in the freezer, many months would be my guess.

You'll definitely be ok. Before I got a mill I purchased several all grain kits already crushed from AHS. Shipping takes several days and even then I might not be able to brew for another week after that. Just keep it in a cool dry place. So what are you brewing?
orange blossom Hefeweizen first go with a Hefe.... not exactly "authentic" by german purity law as I'm using 45%wheat opposed to 50% and I guess honey doesn't fit that rule either. I Have high hopes for this beer as it will be my end of summer beer before I go into Oktoberfest and gearing up for my winter regimine.

Back