Gelatin in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PCSharkynose

Reaction score
Ok I'm a dork :rolleyes: I was brewing a 1 gal batch of a honey Porter extract kit. I wanted to add some THC infused sugar to the fermenter before pitching the yeast. Through some cosmic twist of fate I started to add a THC infused gelatin mix my wife had in the fridge to do gummy bears with. I added approximately 1 tablespoon before I caught my mistake.
As I understand it, gelatin is used to clarify beer because,in short, yeast and other stuff cling to it and fall to the bottom.
I haven't pitched my brew yet because I think it won't ferment until the gelatin sinks. I have the brew in the fermenter with an airlock on it.
Can I let the brew sit a day of so before pitching the yeast?
Did I screw the batch up and just dump it out and start over?
Should I just pitch the yeast and go on?
TIA

Ok I'm a dork :rolleyes: I was brewing a 1 gal batch of a honey Porter extract kit. I wanted to add some THC infused sugar to the fermenter before pitching the yeast. Through some cosmic twist of fate I started to add a THC infused gelatin mix my wife had in the fridge to do gummy bears with. I added approximately 1 tablespoon before I caught my mistake.
As I understand it, gelatin is used to clarify beer because,in short, yeast and other stuff cling to it and fall to the bottom.
I haven't pitched my brew yet because I think it won't ferment until the gelatin sinks. I have the brew in the fermenter with an airlock on it.
Can I let the brew sit a day of so before pitching the yeast?
Did I screw the batch up and just dump it out and start over?
Should I just pitch the yeast and go on?
TIA

I’m no expert in solving this one, but my first thought would be to drop temp between 50-40 degrees then increase Wort temp to 65 degrees F and pitch yeast? Assuming you have no option to drop out the trub.

I will try this. I'm using a glass carboy so I want to be careful on how I will transfer the Wort so I can dump the trub. I've had good luck with this Porter recipe in the past but thats because I brewed it as directed but experimenting is half the fun of this hobby.
I'll report the results after I try the first bottle. :D

I think you can pitch yeast as is. Gelatin clarifies, but not immediately and best at lower temps around 32-36F. AFAIK gelatin won't kill yeast or render it useless. Once fermentation starts there's enough turbulence to keep the yeast suspended.

If you notice the yeast dropping out too fast toward the end of the fermentation, you may need to give it a gentle stir periodically (use the back of your long plastic brew spoon) rousing the yeast cake, to keep the yeast suspended so it finishes out. Never beat/whip air into beer! Again, I doubt this may be even needed.

Last edited:
Back