Gelatin fining - is clarifying flat beer better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparger

Reaction score
In wine making, before fining, the instructions always say to stir out all CO2 before adding finings “degassing”. The instructions say that Failure to degas will result in wine not clearing. So, when transferring beer to a keg (and adding gelatin as a fining) is it better to just purge the O2 out and then let the keg sit for a few days to fine BEFORE charging the keg with CO2?

I don’t know if there is a right or wrong way. I cold crash my fermenter for several days, transfer my cold beer to my keg, add gelatin then purge the headspace. I attach my CO2 and let it carbonate and clear for 10-14 days. It’s usually pretty clear by the time I pull my first pint and only gets better from there.

I don’t know if there is a right or wrong way. I cold crash my fermenter for several days, transfer my cold beer to my keg, add gelatin then purge the headspace. I attach my CO2 and let it carbonate and clear for 10-14 days. It’s usually pretty clear by the time I pull my first pint and only gets better from there.
I typically do this too. Going to hold off this time 48 hours after fining, then start charging the keg with CO2. Maybe this will give the gelatin some time to sink/settle and clear it faster.

I add the gelatin and hook up CO2 and start carbing immediately. I don't give it a wait period. IMHO, I think waiting the 48 hours is unnecessary and will only delay you from drinking the beer. :)

Back