Gelatin as clarifier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhatsOnTap

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before, but it's the first time I've tried it. I gotta say, I'm going to do it again. I brewed a red (which came out KILLER) and just left it in the primary for 2 weeks. I racked over all but the last couple pints to the keg, and while I rehydrated and heated the gelatin to 180, I drank a couple pints of green beer :cross: I tossed the gelatin in the keg and shook it up. The next day pulled off 4 oz of sediment. The next 4 oz was dang near crystal clear already! At the end of 5 days I should have a crystal clear product (hopefully with no chill haze). I'm getting frickin' anal about clear beer. I like the challenge :D

Have you tried using bentonite? I don't know if it's good for beer but it clears wine with extreme prejudice.

rhalko1969 said:
I have a question for you. Did you cool the Gelatin down before adding it? If so to what Temp?

No, I simply let it sit in cold water for 30 minutes to expand and then raised the temp to 180 F. Pour in the keg (or secondary), rack over, and shake then let settle for 5 days. The clarity has improved in 3 days, and it's perfect to do while carbonating your keg. The first pint will be sediment, then clear sailing after that. You'll see the line get crystal clear after the sediment gets sucked up.l

UTDoug said:
Have you tried using bentonite? I don't know if it's good for beer but it clears wine with extreme prejudice.

I've used bentonite in mead and beer. It clears exceptionally well, though I've heard it can strip head-retention compounds from the beer. I dunno, seems fine to me. If I bottle I don't clarify, since it will clear up nicely by itself. I started omitting my secondary while kegging and gelatin seemed like the answer. It clarifies while carbonating, and it packs down firm on the keg bottom. Works like a charm! :fro:

I just bought some fancy geltine for clarifying brews. Never used it before but I'm doing a batch friday. After racking and pitching the warm mix, did you cool down everything so it settled or it just happened without chilling the beer? The solids come out the form of cloggy gelatin or does it come out like turbid liquid through the drain?

Back