Gelatin - addition to ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
I have always added gelatin at the end of fermentation to "warm" beer, then crashed the temp to around 35 F

I am reading now that adding the gelatin to cold beer is better.

I believed that the gelatin would not be able to attach to yeast, etc. if the beer was cold, because the gelatin would not have time to attach due to it being quickly gelatinized in cold beer.

Does anyone have any conclusive evidence which way is better ?

Thanks

When I do use gelatin, I add it at the beginning of the cold crashing cycle when the beer is still warm and get decent results. Doesn't it stay dissolved and in suspension for a while?

If you cold crash before gelatin fining, any 'chill haze' will form, then bind with and be pulled out by the gelatin. I always chill to 34-35 degrees F, then add gelatin. I have noticed two effects from doing this: First, I get crystal clear beer. Second, (I bottle) the yeast in the bottles settles into a hard cake that allows you to pour an entire beer out without worrying about the yeast, with a careful pour.

I have no issues with bottle conditioning this way, either.

To both who answered adding before crashing and after crashing temps, how long does it take to get crystal clear or brilliant beer.

Thanks

If you cold crash before gelatin fining, any 'chill haze' will form, then bind with and be pulled out by the gelatin. I always chill to 34-35 degrees F, then add gelatin. I have noticed two effects from doing this: First, I get crystal clear beer. Second, (I bottle) the yeast in the bottles settles into a hard cake that allows you to pour an entire beer out without worrying about the yeast, with a careful pour.

I have no issues with bottle conditioning this way, either.

I'm not saying this method doesn't work and I'm certainly no gelatin expert, but my experience has been that at very cold temperatures the gelatin doesn't dissolve as well, clumping up and being less effective. At higher temperatures, it seems to dissolve much better.

Again, that's just my experience. Maybe I'm not doing something right.

That was my thought also, that adding dissolved gelatin mixture to "warm" beer would allow it to blend into beer better.
And adding to cold beer would shock it into solidifying before it's had any time to mix and attach to any yeast or proteins.

To both who answered adding before crashing and after crashing temps, how long does it take to get crystal clear or brilliant beer.

Thanks

The answer depends on a variety of factors, like the flocculation characteristics of the yeast, availability of the right nutrients in the wort (zinc?), whether or not fermentation has actually completed, etc.

My process includes gradually cold crashing the beer over 5-6 days down to 38F and then letting it sit there for another 5 days or so before I keg. In approximately 11 days I get fairly clear beer, but sometimes there is stuff still in suspension, particularly immediately after racking, even using gelatin.

Here's my method:

1) after fermentation has completed, cold crash primary 2 days @ near-freezing
2) add gelatin
3) continue cold crashing for 2 more days
4) transfer to keg

My beer is routinely crystal clear and bright with this method. I will not say this is the "best" method or "correct" method, or that adding gelatin to warm beer is "wrong", but this method works for me. YMMV.

I have NEVER had issues with gelatin clumping or forming jelly in cold beer. I get why people would *think* that would happen, but I've just never seen it.

My procedure is very close to what hunter_la5 is doing. Except I cut his 2-days down to 1 day.

Meaning. Crash for one day, let temp stabilize at set temp, add warm gelatine, leave for one more day then keg. Result for me is crystal clear beer. I don't know how much the gelatine adds to the clearity, but it gets like this:

9uvu8yne.jpg

I have let in fermenter after crashing/gelatin for 6 weeks and after that time, the beer is brilliant.

I have not done any "session" beers, so most of mine are 5++ % alcohol, so I believe the 6 weeks is a benefit due to the higher than average alcohol content.

I cold crash for 1 day, add gelatin, then give it another 2-3 days. Beer is brilliantly clear.

I use the gelatin as follows:

Stir approximately 1 tsp per roughly 5 gallons of beer into 1 cup of room temp water (I use water from my RO filter). Microwave in 10-15 second bursts, checking temp until you get to 150 degrees F. Add to fermenter, swirl gently. Stick it back into your cold crashing device of choice at about 33-34 F for at least 2 more days.

Been 9 days in brite tank with gelatin, and the sample I pulled in a glass graduated cylinder looks extremely clear. Will let go for a total of 14 days, then keg.
I think the 6 weeks in the brite tank was not necessary - I believe I just forgot about it and kegged in 6 weeks (thinking it took that long to clarify).

Very happy with the 2 weeks to keg. Seems like 7+2 days to ferment, 14 days to clarify, 21 days to carbonate, and good finished product in 44 days. Little over 6 weeks not bad for total time.

Back