G'day from North Carolina foothills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Possum55

Reaction score
Sup dudes and dudette’s?

OK, So bottom line is I joined this site for the following:

I love beer.

I want to avoid aggravation and undue expense in my new found love
(homebrewing).

And I want to find new peeps that enjoy the same thing (RDWHAHB).

I just turned 60, so at this age I can say for me – my “give a damn” is somewhat limited and it’s a good thang (sorry, I am Southern). I am a Hospice Triage RN and work the “Third Watch”. I go where needed, put out the fire (pain crises, pronounce death, terminal agitation, patient fall, admission, administer medications, etc., etc., etc.), and go home. I love my job and I feel confident and compassionate about it.

So me and the misses where shopping last month and lo and behold, I see this inexpensive Mr. Beer Kit in a Sears. I buy it, use it, and it sucked for me….just cheap. But I’m bitten now and want to get more involved with the home brewing.

I get everything needed to do everything less than whole grain brewing for a 5 gallon batch at a local homebrew supply (6 gallon glass carboy, air lock, nice stainless brew pot, auto siphon, hydrometer, etc.).

6 gallon fermentation carboy presently contains what is supposed to be a True Brew California Common LME with dry crystal grains, Pilgrim hops, Cascade hops, Saflager S-23 11.5 and yes of course I added the little container of American light LME and yeast (no idea what kind), that was left over from the Mr. Beer Kit.

Anyway, bottom line, I started fermentation on the 8th and it went crazy. I had to remove, clean, and re-sanitize the air lock….it was going wild. Has settle down now with little to no activity. Thing is, the beer is a really dark, UPS looking brown. Just wondering if I should scrap it and start fresh or whatever.

Never going to give up now,
Cheers and g’day mates
Possum55

Welcome. Lots of good(actually great) info here. The beginners forum consumed many hours. Well worth the time reading. Ask questions when you get in a jam.

Welcome to a great hobby/community!

Don't toss it! It's still beer. There are generally only a few reason to dump your batch and the color being a little different than what you'd expected isn't one I would advise. Let it roll, mang!

Greetings from Greensboro! I would certainly wait to taste it before I would ever consider dumping a batch.

On a slightly separate note, what temp did you ferment it at? Doing a lager as a second batch is certainly no easy task, even a California common!

Howdy from the Northeast Tennessee Appalachians. Be warned, this hobby sucks you in fast and there's no escaping!

So arnobg, You're just on the other side of the hill from me. Hope the water there is as good as it is here. Cheers

Latest posts

Back