Gas Line Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FooFan

Reaction score
I have a question about running a natural gas line. I just had a great shed built in my back yard (2 story on a concrete slab). My plan is to move my homebrewing operation out to it, to include brewing. I would like to switch from propane to ng and need to run a line out to the shed. I have ng in my house (I am on a crawl space) and would need to run a line about 100ft from the house to the shed. I am also running power and water so am gonna rent a trencher to dig it up.

So my question is this... anyone know what kind of gas line I need to buy to make this happen, where to buy? I'll get a pro out to tie both ends of the line in. But am just wondering what kind of supply cost I might be looking at?

Thanks for taking the time to read my question...

Cheers,
FooFan

For that length, you might be better off to run the trench and let the pro you are bringing in lay the line. You can dig a trench much cheaper than what they will charge you, but you cannot by gas line that can be buried cheaper than them.

Just my $0.02 as a Gas Tech.

Get the pro to handle the lines. IF you ever have an issue with the gas feed, you can always show the invoice showing HE did the lines, you just dug the trench. I would also make sure you dig it deep enough to avoid any environmental issues (not just freezing/frost, but critters and such). You'll probably want to indicate where the line is run, also, to avoid anyone cutting it by accident later. Check with the pro to find out how deep it should be run.

I would also run the power and water in another trench. Or make sure all three are isolated/protected from each other. That could mean three trenches, as well as conduit for the electrical lines.

Don't forget to call before you dig. There could Be an old line you might not want to trench through.

100 feet! You will probably not have enough psi to run that far. I added a 15' section for my gas grill and it BARELY made code. You have to figure out the psi drop for the amount of feet you put in including elbows, valves, burner size, etc. for the line. 100' will most likely require a new meter out at your shed with pipe from there. Code requirements and psi drop will help you determine the size of black pipe to use. I would get a pro in there to give you a quote and determine if it is even possible.

Back