gas grill for partial boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lnb001

Reaction score
I know this question has probably been asked several times but I could not find anything after searching on here. Anyway, I have had all my equipment for a couple months, just haven't had time to do my first brew and was wondering if my propane grill would work to boil? I would use a stove but my kitchen is being remodeled and so there is not one. My grill has a separate burner, so the only question is if it will put out enough BTUs to keep a boil of about 2.5 gallons. What do you guys think?

-Lucas

I know that MY grill would not support 2.5 gallons of liquid. It's more for heating up a can of beans than boiling a beer. But, if yours is burlier, than I would give it a shot. Why not fill a pot with 2.5 gallons of water and try to bring it to a boil, just to test it?

I know that MY grill would not support 2.5 gallons of liquid. It's more for heating up a can of beans than boiling a beer. But, if yours is burlier, than I would give it a shot. Why not fill a pot with 2.5 gallons of water and try to bring it to a boil, just to test it?

Didn't think about that haha, i'll go check it out now

-Lucas

sorry definitely meant to put this in the equipment section. Anyway, just tried this with about 3 gallons of water and took over 45 minutes to barely boil without a lid. Maybe I'll go with a propane burner with higher BTU output.

-Lucas

Back