Gallons of Hops? Determining weight of whole leaf hops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewjangle

Reaction score
So, the University where I work is having their annual Spring Plant sale this weekend and my wife just sent me a message that says they have hops for sale as well. (Yeah, she rocks!) Looks like they have Centennial and Chinook available. But, they have it listed as $24 / 2 gallons!?!
Anyone have any idea how to determine the weight of 2 gallons of whole leaf hops by the gallon? Im all for supporting local, especially when its where I work, but I'm also not going to pay twice as much just because...
To make this a little more difficult, I do not know if they are fresh or dried. For all I know they could be handing me a bucket and letting me fill it up off the bine.

I know this may be a long shot, but Im hoping someone here has experience/advice on how to measure hops by the gallon to determine a price per oz/lb.

Cheers!

This probably isn't the answer you want...

If you can afford it, I say go for it. Does the money support students/organizations? If so you'd be helping them out while getting to brew with hops from the University. Seems like a win-win, but I know money can be tight [emoji28]

That's probably the size of the container the plant comes in.

To make some wild guesses based on my own home-grown home-dried leaf hops, 1 pint sandiwch bag of dried hop leaves is about 2 oz depending on how dense you pack it. That would leave 1 gallon = 4 quarts = 8 pints = 16 ounces of hops. So 2 gallons of dried leaf hops would be 2 pounds of hops.

This probably isn't the answer you want...

If you can afford it, I say go for it. Does the money support students/organizations? If so you'd be helping them out while getting to brew with hops from the University. Seems like a win-win, but I know money can be tight [emoji28]

Sales support the Ag. program and more specifically, Horticulture so there are benefits to buying from them. Thanks for the perspective!

That's probably the size of the container the plant comes in.

To make some wild guesses based on my own home-grown home-dried leaf hops, 1 pint sandiwch bag of dried hop leaves is about 2 oz depending on how dense you pack it. That would leave 1 gallon = 4 quarts = 8 pints = 16 ounces of hops. So 2 gallons of dried leaf hops would be 2 pounds of hops.

Wasnt thinking of it that way, but you may be right! They may be selling the plant itself and not just the hop cones. If so, I dont think this would be for me since my yard doesn't get sun consistently in any one spot. Too many trees around! Hmmm...

When I harvested my cascades and chinooks last year, I got 2 full 6.5 gallon buckets full of cones. Once dried and packaged, I ended up with about 46oz of hops to use total, 23-24 oz from each bucket.

Just popping in to say...

GO TIGERS!

I wish they had done stuff like that when I was still a student. I'd be surprised if they weren't working on their own strain of hops.

So, the University where I work is having their annual Spring Plant sale this weekend and my wife just sent me a message that says they have hops for sale as well. (Yeah, she rocks!) Looks like they have Centennial and Chinook available. But, they have it listed as $24 / 2 gallons!?!
Anyone have any idea how to determine the weight of 2 gallons of whole leaf hops by the gallon? Im all for supporting local, especially when its where I work, but I'm also not going to pay twice as much just because...
To make this a little more difficult, I do not know if they are fresh or dried. For all I know they could be handing me a bucket and letting me fill it up off the bine.

I know this may be a long shot, but Im hoping someone here has experience/advice on how to measure hops by the gallon to determine a price per oz/lb.

Cheers!

First off, Go Tigers!
Second, I am assuming its Clemson. If so SAVE ME SOME HOPS! I’ll be at Clemson in a few weeks for work.

Back