Galaxy IIPA - feedback please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLadybugTree

Reaction score
Hello all,

Never posted before that I can recall but I spend the better half of my days reading posts on HBT. So much useful knowledge here and great community. On my way to the farm now to brew the Barleywine from Jamil/Palmer (hi jamilz!)

Anyway, I took my first shot ever at creating a recipe from scratch using brewers friend online builder. I am hoping to get some feedback from you all regarding the grain bill and overall balance/character of the beer.

I am shooting for a citrusy IPA with deep colour but not super strong alcohol. It's about where I want it right now. I am a bit of a hop head so 100 seems like a good bitterness level.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/146458/2014-galaxy-iipa

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

1 lbs crystal, 1 lbs flaked wheat and .75 lbs carafoam is going to leave your beer overly sweet, even with a high hopping rate. Using wheat in an IPA I dont think you want to exceed 5% crystal. If you drop the wheat you could go up to 10% but I still think that is really pushing it on a beer of this size.
I think your hops look great. Galaxy is great on its own but pairs well with Citra and Cascade. If you reduce your unfermentable sugars you will really let those hops shine. If you leave the crystal malt so high I really think it will mask a lot of the hop aroma and flavor.

I agree with bbrim

also, IMO, drop the light DME and add corn sugar, it will boost your ABV like the extract plus it will dry it out nicely.

This is why I and here. You guys rock. Thanks for the tips. I will go tweak a bit. If you are interested, check back in later today and have a look.

I am only a little hesitant to use corn sugar because I fear the cidery taste. Maybe I'll go half and half. It is a little overly complex but I don't mind.

I made some tweaks as you suggested. Really trying to keep the colour, alcohol, and hops in those current levels.

In regards to the sweetness I want it to be balanced leaning towards refreshing hops finish. I can bump up hops if needed. Like I said. Me likey the hops and my wife doesn't mind them either.

Does it look more balanced now? Am I risking cidery tastes with 2# dextrose?

In case you are wondering I am only using dme/sugar because my Mashtun tops out around 12-13 pounds of grain. Last week I had a apa and did 13.5 pounds. Which meant my mash was super thick.

Thanks for the tips. Keep them coming!

ive never had a problem with a "cidery" taste when using dextrose which is why i suggested it, adds fermentables and drys an IPA out nicely!

Too much dextrose. Yeah dex is good for these types of beers but try to use enough to get your dryness in line. You don't want to use it for 15% of your fermentables. Cut your dextrose down to .5# (5%) and compensate with malt. If you want to make sure your dryness is good step mash with a short high temp rest. Vorlauf your grain bed down and take 2-3L of clear wort and boil it then return it to the mash tun. Once you get around 154-155 let it rest for 15mins or however long it takes to vorlauf back down and then drain it, sparge, etc. That should net you at least 2 points on your FG.

Only other thing I have to add is your flavors will be more tropical than citrus. Galaxy and Citra are both strong on passionfruit and will give you a pineapple/passionfruit kind of thing. With some cascade you might get a hint of mango or slight citrus when it all comes together but I wouldn't anticipate a strong citrus character to this. If you want citrus look at cascade, centennial and chinook.

When do you add the dextrose if using it like this?

I usually add 15 minutes left in the boil to sanitize. I'm not sure this is best practice but it's the habit I have gotten in to.

Too much dextrose. Yeah dex is good for these types of beers but try to use enough to get your dryness in line. You don't want to use it for 15% of your fermentables. Cut your dextrose down to .5# (5%) and compensate with malt. If you want to make sure your dryness is good step mash with a short high temp rest. Vorlauf your grain bed down and take 2-3L of clear wort and boil it then return it to the mash tun. Once you get around 154-155 let it rest for 15mins or however long it takes to vorlauf back down and then drain it, sparge, etc. That should net you at least 2 points on your FG.

Only other thing I have to add is your flavors will be more tropical than citrus. Galaxy and Citra are both strong on passionfruit and will give you a pineapple/passionfruit kind of thing. With some cascade you might get a hint of mango or slight citrus when it all comes together but I wouldn't anticipate a strong citrus character to this. If you want citrus look at cascade, centennial and chinook.

Interesting idea. I have never step mashed before. Thanks for the idea.

For the hops I guess I misspoke. I want a tropical presence indeed.

Thanks everyone so far. I have tweaked it by playing with the ratios to try to meet your comments. I may also take a crack at step mashing. Alternatively could I extend my infusion time to 1 hour?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405206075.621015.jpg

Step mashing is a good idea because it will help efficiency and help dry the beer out. You can also dry it out by mashing 148-150 for 75 minutes. I think your recipe looks much better now. Personally I would drop the carafoam altogether because the wheat will get the job done, but I like very simple grain bills. That's just my preference.
Will you make a starter for this beast? It looks like a great recipe, make sure your yeast is healthy and plentiful. Good luck!

Step mashing is a good idea because it will help efficiency and help dry the beer out. You can also dry it out by mashing 148-150 for 75 minutes. I think your recipe looks much better now. Personally I would drop the carafoam altogether because the wheat will get the job done, but I like very simple grain bills. That's just my preference.
Will you make a starter for this beast? It looks like a great recipe, make sure your yeast is healthy and plentiful. Good luck!

I have an APA on s05 I will wash the yeast from and then make a big starter. I will use the pitch rate calculator and make it accordingly.

Thanks for the help. If you are wondering how it turns out you can follow the wordpress link in the recipe later. It won't be active until I brew it though (a few weeks away)

Latest posts

Back