Galaxy, Citra, Amarillo Wheat IPA - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispylopez

Reaction score
I've been kicking around ideas for a nice quaffable wheat IPA to enjoy as the weather warms and recently had a killer IPA using mainly Citra and some Galaxy (J. Wakefield's Hop For Teacher). So I thought, why not go that route? Give me your opinion on this recipe:

OG: 1.059
FG: 1.013
ABV: 6%
Color: 11.16 SRM
IBU: 71
6 lbs 2-row (52.2%)
4.5 lbs Wheat (39.1%)
1 lb Crystal 60L (8.7%)
1 oz Warrior FWH (31 IBU)
1 oz Galaxy 15 min (20 IBU)
1 oz Amarillo 10 min (8 IBU)
1 oz Citra 10 min (11 IBU)
1 oz Galaxy hopstand 30 min
1 oz Amarillo hopstand 30 min
1 oz Citra hopstand 30 min
1 oz Galaxy dry hop 7 days
1 oz Amarillo dry hop 7 days
1 oz Citra dry hop 7 days
Safale US-05

-Mash 60 minutes at 152°F
-Boil 60 minutes
-Primary ferment 14 days at 74°
-Secondary ferment 14 days at 74°

I only started brewing AG in the past few months and haven't done it w/ wheat. I have a 10gal round cooler tun that I made w/ a false bottom. Think I need rice hulls in this bill?

Any other input is greatly appreciated. Cheers! :tank:

I'm also considering as an alternative to the grain bill swapping out that lb of C60 for 12oz Honey Malt and 4oz C120. If so, think I might want to move some portion of the Warrior from FWH to a 60min addition, just to add a little bit of sharpness to the hop profile, since this grain bill would add some sweetness.

The changes I would make are as follows:

1) Target a lower FG; 1.011 or lower.

2) Use 4-5% crystal 40 or 60.

3) Primary ferment at 64 F for 7 days, then let free rise to 68-70F for another 10 days in the primary. No need for a secondary.

4) Don't FWH. Traditional bitter with 1 oz. Warrior at 60 min, then 2 oz. mixed hops at 10 min, 3 oz. mixed hops at whirlpool, 4 oz. mixed hops at 5 day dryhop.

The changes I would make are as follows:

1) Target a lower FG; 1.011 or lower.

2) Use 4-5% crystal 40 or 60.

3) Primary ferment at 64 F for 7 days, then let free rise to 68-70F for another 10 days in the primary. No need for a secondary.

4) Don't FWH. Traditional bitter with 1 oz. Warrior at 60 min, then 2 oz. mixed hops at 10 min, 3 oz. mixed hops at whirlpool, 4 oz. mixed hops at 5 day dryhop.

Yeah, I've actually been looking into ways to control temp without taking up too much space in the back of my pantry, where my brews usually ferment. If so, I'd definitely like to ferment lower.

Why do you advise against FWH? I know it's supposed to round out more and drop some of the bitterness, which is why I mentioned in my followup post the idea of breaking that up to add some in traditional 60min boil.

Do you generally not care for FHW, or do you think specific to this recipe it needs more sharpness from the bittering hop?

Just curious.

I generally like FWH, and use them in place of 60 min. additions in my IPAs. It's a persoanl taste thing.

I also love some honey malt in my IPA's, go for that for sure.

Recipe looks delicious to me.

I generally like FWH, and use them in place of 60 min. additions in my IPAs. It's a persoanl taste thing.

I also love some honey malt in my IPA's, go for that for sure.

Recipe looks delicious to me.

I thought it would have a nice, fruity hop character that'd play nice w/ the wheat. And I figured the honey malt would make a nice addition (inspired as I enjoyed a Hopslam the other day).

Think I want to go w/ that and split the FWH to include some Warrior as a 60min addition, just so it has a little bite. Even considered doing .25 oz Summit FHW and a full oz of Warrior, but idk that's really the way to go. Think this would be better.

I just kegged mine. I can share the recipe if someone wants. It may possibly be my favorite IPA to date. The wheat gave it the coolest hazy orange juice look. It's so juicy.

6# America pale malt (morebeer.com)
6# white wheat
1/2#crystal 20L

1 oz magnum @60
2 oz citra/ 2 oz Galaxy @ 5
2 oz citra/ 2 oz Galaxy @ 1
2 oz citra/ 2 oz Galaxy @ 175 whirlpool 20min
1.5L Conan yeast starter with 1min pure O2

Dry hop:
2oz citra/ 1 oz Galaxy at end of ferm in primary (day7)
2oz citra/ 1 oz Galaxy on day 14 (kept everything in primary)
Kegged on day 17 (planned on day 18 but was in a rush)

Water: 5 gal mash / 4 gal fly sparge (store bought RO)
Mash @ 152 for 60 min
Profile: sulfate : chloride = ballpark 5 or 6 : 1
(I think it was between 250-300 ppm sulfate and 40-50 chloride)
Mash pH was 5.0, lower than I calculated on EZ, could used one less mL lactic acid

I know it sounds like a lot of hops but honestly I was just not satisfied time and time again so this was a **** it throw it in kinda brew. And it paid off! Try it out!

image.jpg

Back