Funny bung like smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmowry

Reaction score
I just brewed up 3 all grain one gallon batches BIAB I got the recipes online from Midwest supplies it's their microbru recipe kit but I just found the ingredients at my local homebrew shop instead of ordering the actual kit followed the instructions and the beer turned out good but had a funny smell/ slight taste that resembled the smell of the bung used could that have an affect? What type of bungs should I use? Could it be something else causing the smell?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The common beige rubber stoppers shouldn't really impart anything into the beer.

Did you have the fermenters anywhere in sunlight - that would give a skunky/rubbery aroma very quickly.

I had them in a room with a big window but I had a towel wrapped around the fermenter could that still cause it to turn skunky

By your description I would say yes, either the towels were not keeping all the UV out or there were holes/gaps. if you can see light through the towel, so can your beer.

I used this lightproof jacket when had to ferment in a room with windows, and I put the hood up over the airlock just to be safe.

carboy.jpg

By your description I would say yes, either the towels were not keeping all the UV out or there were holes/gaps. if you can see light through the towel, so can your beer.

I used this lightproof jacket when had to ferment in a room with windows, and I put the hood up over the airlock just to be safe.

I also use this technique with a heavy plaid jacket. The hoods a nice touch though.:D

Yeah thinking back on it I just put the towel around the front where the sun would catch it and not the back so next time I'm gonna clean out a rarely used closet in the house and cover with something like what you just pictured

Band-Aid/Rubber Bung smells could also be from wild yeasts. That's the only thing I can think of... your bung itself won't flavor the beer as far as I know.

I just brewed up 3 all grain one gallon batches BIAB I got the recipes online from Midwest supplies it's their microbru recipe kit but I just found the ingredients at my local homebrew shop instead of ordering the actual kit followed the instructions and the beer turned out good but had a funny smell/ slight taste that resembled the smell of the bung used could that have an affect? What type of bungs should I use? Could it be something else causing the smell?

I say... just suck it up, stick your nose right on it, and smell the bung. You might even get some brownie points.

Back