Funky Smelling brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RookieBrewer89

Reaction score
image.jpg Hi All
14 Days ago I put down a Thomas Cooper Pale ale. Used the supplied yeast and 1.5kg of light dry malt. It fermented as usual but is quite cloudy. I tasted it this morning, thinking it was ready for a cold crash to clear it up a bit, but it tasted not quite ready and smells funky. Has been sitting at 1014 for 2 days now.
Any ideas?

It doesn’t look infected to me. It just looks like there is residual Krausen floaters.

Personally I would leave it for another week to let the yeast do some clean up then cold crash and bottle as normal.
Possibly add some gelatin to clarify.

Once it’s carbonated, taste it. If it is awful then dump it.
But maybe it will turn out great.

But don’t dump it until you’ve at least tried to save it.
You’ll only be wasting $3 in priming sugar and a little of your time.
And you can reuse the bottles so that’s not a waste.

— Perhaps add an additional dose of dry hops (natural antiseptic).

I think you're getting differing opinions because it's a bit hard to tell from a single snapshot.
There is something on top of the beer. If it's a film (pellicle), that points to infection; if it's not a film, probably just hop oils. Funky smell points to infection but normal beers can smell a bit weird at first too.

This is why I like clear fermentation vessels, because I can visually monitor for changes. Something to consider when you're in the market for your next one :)

Cheers & good luck!

P.S. http://store.coopers.com.au/thomas-coopers-bootmaker-pale-ale-1-7kg.html ... 560 IBU ... haha WTF

Haha that would be horrible 560IBU. Thanks everyone for the advise. Think I’ll leave it for a week then check it out.

Back