Full Volume Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I currently batch sparge, but would like to try full volume mash.

The batch sparge is a 2-step process in BeerSmith. What is the best setup of BeerSmith for full volume mash? What water/grain ratio should I use for it (to double check BeerSmith app).

Will

I don't think there is one (I couldn't find it when I tried full volume mashing).
You can't have a water/grain ratio set as it will be different depending on the amount of grain for your batch.

In the mash profile, check the BIAB box and it will calculate the full volume for you.

BIAB will have less grain absorption because of the “squeezing” effect that is inherent to the lifting of the bag.
BeerSmith compensates for this by using a different absorption rate when that BIAB box is ticked.

You can change change the values of both absorption rates in the advanced preferences menu.
Just change the BIAB value to the non-BIAB value and the “BIAB” mash volume calculations will be correct for a full volume mash without lifting a bag.

In the mash profile, check the BIAB box and it will calculate the full volume for you.

BIAB will have less grain absorption because of the “squeezing” effect that is inherent to the lifting of the bag.
BeerSmith compensates for this by using a different absorption rate when that BIAB box is ticked.

You can change change the values of both absorption rates in the advanced preferences menu.
Just change the BIAB value to the non-BIAB value and the “BIAB” mash volume calculations will be correct for a full volume mash without lifting a bag.
Awesome! Thanks.

Back