Full Size Fridge "keg shelf"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedRaiderDavid

Reaction score
Hello, I have a full size fridge that has been converted to a kegerator and it currently has 2 faucets. Due to the compressor hump it will only hold 2 corny size kegs. It is large enough to hold 4 kegs and a CO2 bottle (I'm pretty sure) if I build it up so its all one level.

I know this is an issue many have solved for I just wonder if anyone who has done this has some pictures they can share here. I have done some raw sketches and measurements so I have an idea what I am thinking about doing but would love some inspiration and perhaps something I haven't thought of.

Right now I'm thinking of building a frame out of 2x4s (I re-thought this as I typed). Vertical and horizontal 2x4's would provide support and distribute the weight and then a piece of plywood would provide the shelf on top. There would then be space below the kegs in front for a couple 6 packs under the support.

Working with wood is not my strong suit so I don't know if I am over thinking / engineering this or it just won't work like i think it will.

You won't need a 2x4 frame, just three 2x4 legs attached to the front of the 1/2" or 3/4" plywood shelf. If the plywood is snug to the sides of the refrigerator, so it won't move side to side, the legs will be stable. Silicon caulk holding the plywood to the hump, will keep the plywood from sliding forward when sliding the carboy out of the frig.

Here's a pair of 17cf top-freezer models with platforms. The one on the left needed a bit more structure, the one on the right has almost 250 pounds on it in this picture and handles that weight without issue...

Cheers!

ab_july_05_2014_12.jpg

I've done this twice. Both times, I've just "lined" the bottom left & right with 1/2" plywood, cut to a template that allows me to keep the bottom shelf functional. Then I place 3/4" plywood on top as a shelf. I posted this in the kegerator thread, for my original one. Here is the post for my current kegerator... same idea, but without the liquor dispenser.

Back