Full size fridge fermenter - Will the door warp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeDaddio

Reaction score
A full sized (well, apartment sized) fridge fell in to my lap for dirt cheap. My brew buddy and I are going to go today and pick it up.

I've just got a quick question that I can't seem to find a definitive answer on: is it necessary to replace the inside door shelving with a piece of wood if it is removed?

I've seen pictures of the mini fridges with this part cut out and not replaced, but for full size fridges people seem to be screwing plywood to the door, and one of the instructables says that the door will warp and mess up the seal on the fridge if you don't put a piece of wood in its place.

Is this true? Is leaving the inside unfinished only for smaller fridges?

Looking to use the fridge to ferment ales.

Thanks guys.

jeo

yes its true... if you remove the inner door skin it will not close or seal correctly. on my old westinghouse fridge I did the same I removed the inner door shelving and there was a X made of wire to keep it square one of those wires rusted and broke I had to make shift my own deal using some cable from home depot and this swivel connector that I spun to get the tension correct.

long story short yeah you need to support the door or else it won't make a good seal.

-=jason=-

Thanks, Jason. I appreciate the info. This place is great. i love asking a question and having it answered so quickly!

Whenever we decide how to go about it I'l post some pictures.

joe

Back