Full Gallon No Dust Trub???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbrewster

Reaction score
Good to be back on! Haven't been on here in years! Just go back into brewing and hitting it hard! Got 5 fermenters going at all times and trying some new recipes. My co-worker challenged me to clone a Budweiser. I said "why not", as I rolled my eyes. So I looked up a bunch of ideas for this and came up with 4lb six row, 3lb flaked rice, half oz Hallertau, and Safale 05. Spot on. Maybe more rice next time, but pretty spot on.

It was also my best efficiency to date; 91%. Couldn't believe it. Fermented out to 1.003 as well.

The problem? It was done fermenting in 4 days, but left a translucent, gelatinous, full gallon of trub in the bottom. Actually more like 1.2 gallons of trub. I let it set for 4 weeks and it never settled into dust. It looked like someone put a couple human brains through a food processor and dumped it in my fermenter.

Reminder, the beer turned out amazing. Ultra clear, tasted and smelled great. I shared it with all my "bud light" type co-workers and they loved it. I guess there isn't really a problem, just more of a curiosity as I cant find any similar stories on here or anywhere else.

Does anyone know what the heck causes that kind of trub?

Cheers!

I’m surprised it was so spot on with an ale yeast. I use US-05 all the time, it’s is very clean, but still produces esters that bleed through such a light beer.

When I use US-05 for cider, the yeast cake is very odd. It has the consistency of blended yogurt and is a bit opaque. Does this sound like it?

I’m surprised it was so spot on with an ale yeast. I use US-05 all the time, it’s is very clean, but still produces esters that bleed through such a light beer.

When I use US-05 for cider, the yeast cake is very odd. It has the consistency of blended yogurt and is a bit opaque. Does this sound like it?

Yeah, "spot on" isn't appropriate. I was mostly speaking of ABV and just overall being light, compared to my normal beers. Yeah, it had some esters, that made it taste more like a Miller Lite, than bud light.

Yes, that's precisely what my yeast cake looked like, but more than a gallon of it is my issue. my 5.5 gallon batch ended up yielding only just over 4 gallons to the keg.

Cheers

Gotcha. Was wondering it it was a particular type of rice like sweet rice could be causing the issue. Sounds like its the particular properties of US-05 though.

Gotcha. Was wondering it it was a particular type of rice like sweet rice could be causing the issue. Sounds like its the particular properties of US-05 though.

But I use Safale 05 with 98% of my beers, probably over a thousand batches now, and I've never seen cake like that. Do you mean it may be the way Safale 05 is reacting to certain types of rice? I mean they do use rice in pudding lol.

Back