Full Electric Brewing, BIAB system options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyHoptics

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am looking to make the transition to full electric brewing and have caught interest in the single vessel BIAB systems.

most well known being: the GRAINFATHER, BREW BOSS, BRAUMEISTER
not looking at the Braumesiter, as I am not looking to spend that money at this time.

I am narrowed down to Colorado Brewing Systems and High Gravity Brewing, both of their 10-20 gallon systems

Any comments, tips and suggestions, whether you have experience with the systems or just want to voice your opinion, all will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have the grainfather its a simple system thats easy to use and clean. For 5-6 gals its fine. Personally, the boil is fine has is. The main complaint of GF. My brewhouse eff was %75 for the first 2 batchs. Takes about 4-5 hours for me. I usually finish cleanup the next day.

There's a lot of nice systems but the GF beats them in price. All you need is a large pot to heat up sparge water, And i will eventually make some whiskey with the unit!

Very happy with my purchase of a 220v High Gravity system. Been brewing on it just over a year. Probably have over thirty 5 gal batches on my system. The only thing I have added is a sight glass from brew hardware.
The controller is simple, straight forward and holds temp beautifully.
OnChe you get to understand it, put a few marks on it so you can dial it in easier.

Don't worry about grinding your grain to flour. I use the standard setting on the barley crusher and hit my numbers just fine. Use the bag that comes with it and later on, order a Wilser.

I'm with my boy Seabrew there, we've both posted on the GF thread. I've done AG with mash cooler for 2+yrs (extract many yrs back for a yr) and only one batch so far with the GF. BUT, I love it. Had a few issues, being on auto-pilot from my previous batches, but can't wait to this Sat's double brew session.

GF- 110v 20A, plenty of boil, just insulate it, great counter flow chiller, I got on sale for $800
Colorado- at near $700 with similar GF build (with a stronger poly chugger pump), you still need a pulley system? and a chiller, still not a bad option at all, I'd certainly advise getting to know opinions from folks who use it- I don't like the pulley system. 2000w 20A would be pushing the limit, might need at least a 25 or 30A line.
High Gravity Brewing- The Brew easy is 2x expensive. Includes chugger but again no chiller. 220v, so ok if you're either swapping out with dryer, or have a dedicated line for this.

Keep up your research! :)

I had a 5 gal system then went to a 10 gal. My advice is go big. Cuz your gonna want to eventually. Save yourself time and money do it once and do it right.

Building a 1bbl system now. Got my pot and basket from Colorado Brewing Systems.

There's a lot of nice systems but the GF beats them in price.

This is something I can't agree with. In all my research, the GF was competitively priced, but not the cheapest or best value for an eBIAB system. The best value I found, and what I eventually bought, was the Unibrau 120v 5 gallon BIAB system.

http://brausupply.com/collections/b...120v-5-gallon-brew-boss-automated-brew-system

For $665 you get a complete eBIAB system with a controller (which is a PID and not an analog controller like the GF), pump, bag, 11 gallon kettle, 2 x 1500 watt stainless ULWD elements, quick disconnects and hoses, everything you need. No chiller, but even so I saved a lot of coin going this route. You can even do full volume mashing in that 11 gallon kettle for a lot of lower gravity beers.

Add to that the fact that the Brau Supply unit is completely serviceable by you, should something go horribly wrong (it shouldn't), and the deal was done for me.

My 2¢. I'm admittedly kind of a Brau Supply fan boy, just like some of the Grainfather folks love their systems. But I've been very pleased and recommend them because of that.

great input guys,
no space constraints here would like something around the 15-20 gallon size so I can do more than a 5 gallon batch.

More input appreciated!!

*Colorado Brewing Systems and High Gravity Brewing Systems*

More input appreciated!!

*Colorado Brewing Systems and High Gravity Brewing Systems*

I don't think you could go wrong with either system. The Colorado nano system looks pretty sweet, especially if you don't have a place to hang a pulley. The down under system with the loaded options is pretty damned nice too. Bling!

Either way, go for 240v and go at least a 15 gal pot if you plan to brew 5gal batches. If your going to brew smaller, do it on your stove.

I went with the ebrewsupply panel and built the rest myself.
Did my first brew last weekend and it worked amazing!!

20151210_210758_resized.jpg

AMPSMAN: looks good
I am leaning towards Colorado Brewing Systems

talk me to it or against it :D

I got my 40 gallon pot and SS basket from them. Couldn't be happier. Easy to work with an replied to questions and emails very quickly.

I pulled the trigger on the Colorado Brewing System.
Will have a full video review and text thread review, hopefully in a few weeks.

If you are curious before any of this comes out and are interested in Colorado Brewing Systems
feel free to direct message me anytime for more information and input :D

Back