Full Coke kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddrod

Reaction score
I just inherited 4 full premixed Coke kegs (Coke, Diet Coke, Bargs Rootbeer) from an organizaton that I belong to because Coke does not service this equipment anymore and they never came back to get them. They are full of product and the manager tells me that she used to just hook them up and serve from the machine.

My question is this. What PSI do I need to push this at? I figure they must already be carbonated right? These still have the original product caps on the kegs and had not been hooked up to the machine.

I will be used my beer line which is 5ft of 1/4 ID tubing with a party tap at the end.

I just inherited 4 full premixed Coke kegs (Coke, Diet Coke, Bargs Rootbeer) from an organizaton that I belong to because Coke does not service this equipment anymore and they never came back to get them. They are full of product and the manager tells me that she used to just hook them up and serve from the machine.

My question is this. What PSI do I need to push this at? I figure they must already be carbonated right? These still have the original product caps on the kegs and had not been hooked up to the machine.

I will be used my beer line which is 5ft of 1/4 ID tubing with a party tap at the end.

30 psi is the standard carb level for soda. Expect a crapton of foam with that lineset and expect to dedicate it to soda from here on.

Most all soda fountains have a restrictor inline to balance the system and reduce foaming levels to what we are familiar with.

ummmm, usually the kegs are full of PURE SYRUP, are they not?
the machine mixes the damp bubbles in with it, so do be too surprised there if it aint a-tastin right from the get-go.

Brewmonk,
That's the new way, with bag-o-syrup. The kegs were all premixed, with syrup and soda water.

Toddrod, I'd give those kegs a big shake and let them sit for a day. The liquids inside have probably separated (they syrup being heavier than the soda water.)

Let us know how it goes.

B

I had one of those premixed kegs that sat in my garage for over a year before I finally got around to putting together a keg setup. It was carbonated and tasted like coke after I got around to popping the lid. I just dumped it, though. I needed the keg and I'm not a soda drinker.

I too would suggest using 3/16" line and a pretty long run of it. Shaking up the keg a day before tapping it couldn't hurt either.

I think it should be mentioned again that all of the tubing you will have connected will forever taste like the corresponding soda.

I have 22ft of extra 1/4 ID tubing laying around in the closet. That should give me enough resistance to control the foam. I need to order some pin locks though.

22 ft of 1/4" ID is something like 7 ft of 3/16". I doubt that'll cut it. Why are you using 1/4" tubing in the first place?

1/4 inch is what I had ordered when I was running all my keg gas lines. Just figured I would use that instead of spending more money on the soda setup.

Back