Frustrated: Am I doing something wrong?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

hoppyhoppyhippo

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm setting up a brand new setup where I'm hooking up commercial kegs. And I cannot get anything to pour.

I have Sankey D couplers. Gas line I have a splitter on (next step is to try without a splitter) but they're 3/8 inch, same as my other kegerator. I was running a crazy beer line adaptor setting from 5/16 to 3/16 and I switched it out for a 3/16 connection. I haven't found any leaks. but not matter what I do I cannot get any pour. I've tinkered with the Regulator. I've tinkered with the lines. I haven't shortened them much from the factory setting from the draft tower (probably about 8 feet which I've shortened about 6 inches) I've made sure the Couplers are twisted as far as humanly possible.

I'm stumped. I've ran through my normal checklist and I'm getting nothing. Like I said my next step is to try and ditch the splitter but I cannot imagine that's the issue. Any help would be appreciated. I just want to get this kegerator set up.This is my commercial setup where I have a commercial cold brew set up on a seperate nitrogen system that works perfectly. So I have no clue. Only thing I haven't screwed around with much is a faucets.

OP
hoppyhoppyhippo

hoppyhoppyhippo

Reaction score
Basically nothing. I get a decent pour at first (not full but acceptable) and then it trickles out into nothing before even filling a 13oz glass.

hotbeer

Opinionated Newb
Reaction score
did you open the valve on your CO2 supply all the way? Sounds like it's just cracked a tad.

OP
hoppyhoppyhippo

hoppyhoppyhippo

Reaction score
did you open the valve on your CO2 supply all the way? Sounds like it's just cracked a tad.
I think I did, I'll check that before I do any more heavy work.

Just checked, the tank was fully open.

Last edited:

codysorgenfrey

Reaction score
I don’t have experience with Sanke kegs but sounds like a clog somewhere that’s coming loose/getting stuck each time to me.

greywolf

Reaction score
Take a look at the check valves. Try to blow thru them. Sometimes they are made "too tight" and need a little work to get them working. A gentle probing with a toothpick going side to side helps. Until you can blow thru it. May have to turn up the pressure higher than you use for a corny as well.

superiorsat

Reaction score
I'm guessing this commercial keg is already carbonated which is why you get a partial pour before it trickles off.
" I've made sure the Couplers are twisted as far as humanly possible. " Have you engaged the handle on the tapper? There is an open and closed position.

OP
hoppyhoppyhippo

hoppyhoppyhippo

Reaction score
Take a look at the check valves. Try to blow thru them. Sometimes they are made "too tight" and need a little work to get them working. A gentle probing with a toothpick going side to side helps. Until you can blow thru it. May have to turn up the pressure higher than you use for a corny as well.
It is the check valves. I have the Duckbill style on this D coupler and it was giving me nothing. Supposedly they're supposed to have some give but it wasn't doing crap. Just to check I removed the check valve and it poured like a champ. I set up a different coupler and it uses the "abeco" style

That. And it worked like a champ. So I'm gonna have to play with the duckbills I guess until I get them right. You're not supposed to blow through them according to my research but I wonder if I work on softening them in a way if they won't work better. Or just poke a tiny hole or two. For now, I will probably just roll without the valve and risk the regulator while I experiment with that. At least now I know what the problem is I can attack it.