Fruit Wine Smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoinkMyDoink

Reaction score
Hey, new to wine making. Making my first gallon of blueberry wine right now. It is in primary fermentation and I was wondering what it should smell like during fermentation? My yeast originally didn’t start for 36 hours, so I moved it to a slightly warmer spot. There is now visible activity on the surface of the must, but I’m not sure if it’s caused by the yeast or bad bacteria. I’ve never smelled wine while it’s fermenting, so I wouldn’t know what to smell for if anything is wrong. Any specific smells I should look out for (besides a vinegar smell) to determine if it’s contaminated or caused by the yeast as planned? Thanks.

There is a chance it will smell funky or even sulfurous during a ferment, depends on the yeast you use, nutrients, and temp.

that doesn't mean it's gone bad. Certain smells,and the tastes associated with them, will age out given time. So don't panic and dump it just cause it smells a bit off. My banana wine smelled horrid early on, now it smells like bananas again.

that doesn't mean it's gone bad. Certain smells,and the tastes associated with them, will age out given time. So don't panic and dump it just cause it smells a bit off. My banana wine smelled horrid early on, now it smells like bananas again.
Right, I forgot to add that it will still be fine as long as there’s no mold.

Back