Fruit Fly Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beangirl

Reaction score
So I know when fruit flies get into your brew, it's game over for that batch. I'm wondering how to know when it's game over. I saw fruit flies around my brewing jar and hanging out on top of the cheesecloth, but I haven't seen any inside the jar. I've checked inside and I don't see anything that looks like eggs or larvae, and I just bought a cotton cloth to put over the top of the jar instead of cheesecloth to prevent any future fruit fly problems. Do people reccomend I scrap this batch since I saw fruit flies around it, or is it fine as long as I don't see them inside? Sorry if this is rambley.

Don't dump prematurely, taste and even if you find a floater honestly I'd pick it out and if it tastes fine I still wouldn't dump. But that's me I know some are more germ-averse.

+1 don't dump.
It'll be fine.

Kombucha already has a diverse array of yeast and bacteria, including acetobacter.

Latest posts

Back