Fruit Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trizzant

Reaction score
So I've been reading threads dating back 5 years about adding fruit extract. Secondary or Bottling. My wheat extract kit came with a 4oz bottle of Brewers Best Raspberry extract. I've asked before if I should use it and the acceptable answer was "NO, but if you do DON'T use all of it".

The problem I always have with my searches is that I keg, not bottle. Most people seem to say "add it during bottling". But that is under the assumption that the bottles will sit for 3 weeks and condition. So my questions are this.

1. I have a secondary 5gl carboy not being used. Should I rack to that after
4 weeks and add the extract then. If so then how long do I set it sit in the secondary before kegging and drinking in 2 days. or

2. Do I just rack straight to the keg, add the extract, then let the keg sit at 70 for a period of time. Again what is the perfect period of time before putting the keg in the cooler and drinking in 2 days. or

3. Just leaving it in the primary and adding the extract directly to it. I don't plan on washing the yeast. Then how long does it need to sit in the primary after adding the extract? Also, would I need to gently swirl the extract in with a wine thief without disruption the trub?

I want to do what will make my beer taste best. I rushed my first batch a little and I can tell. I want to leave this in the primary for 4 weeks, that I am sure of. After that I need help deciding. Thanks.

I would have thought you could just add it to the keg before racking into the keg. That should be enough to mix it up. Turn the keg a few times if you want to make sure. It's just a flavoring, I don't think it has to spend any particular amount of time in the beer.

I would have thought you could just add it to the keg before racking into the keg. That should be enough to mix it up. Turn the keg a few times if you want to make sure. It's just a flavoring, I don't think it has to spend any particular amount of time in the beer.

That's what I was hoping for but there are so many ways to do the same thing that I want to do what's best. For the record I am trying to go for a mild raspberry flavor, like purple haze. I think I'll start with 1oz and see, assuming
I can add more to the keg afterwards.

That's what I was hoping for but there are so many ways to do the same thing that I want to do what's best. For the record I am trying to go for a mild raspberry flavor, like purple haze. I think I'll start with 1oz and see, assuming

I made a raspberry ale last summer and had a somewhat similar dilemma. From everything I read, using 100% of the flavoring from the extract that was sent with these kits would give a cough syrup flavor and that using real fruit would be better. So I used 3 lbs. of frozen raspberries and about 1/2 ounce of extract. It worked really well and gave subtle raspberry flavor. I'm currently 10 days into BM's Centennial blond and I plan on putting it on 2 or 3 lbs. of frozen strawberries in another week or so. I haven't decided how much, if any, extract I'm going to use.
Whatever you do good luck.

My bet is that you will use it all. Sure you can add it in increments, but you need to then make sure you mix it up.

Back