Fruit beer yeast and grain choice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeastie

Reaction score
I want to brew a fruit beer. The plan is to use peaches or nectarines. I want something drinkable and refreshing for warm weather. The problem is that my apartment gets quite warm, mid 70s to mid 80s during the day. A dedicated temperature controlled fermenter isn't an option.

The question is what yeast/grain style to go for. I'm thinking either Wyeast 3724 (Belgian Saison) or something like Safale US-05. It seems Wyeast 3724 has the advantage of being much more tolerant of high temperatures which is good, but I've also heard people say that it's better to use a more neutral yeast to let the fruit flavors shine through.

The other question would be should I go for a hefeweizen style grain bill or a more neutral 2 row grain bill? Any thoughts?

Don’t use US-05 in the 80s. Definitely a saison yeast would work better, as long as you’ve tried saisons and like their funkiness.

Back