Frozen wines, Are they trash now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosen1

Reaction score
My heater in my garage died and as a result, My lower alcohol wines froze. Will all of my wine be shot at this point? They all were about into 3 months into aging.

This is what wines I have going now that have reached to the freezing point or froze. As of right now, Everything has thawed.

Niagara - Popsicle
Concord - Almost a Popsicle
Plum - Liquid
Peach - Liquid
St. Vincent - Liquid
Rougeon - Liquid
Norton - Liquid

Thanks,
Jeff

No, as of now I haven't but when I get a chance I will be. I was told by a few people that it would be OK but the air locks were off for a couple of days. I was thinking about adding a pinch of potassium metabisulfate just for piece of mind.

I had some whites that froze this year. I tasted them afterwards and they seemed ok. Did get some sediment drop in Traminette that I was having trouble clearing until they froze.

It's your big chance to make an Eiswein! I can't see any reason your wines would be ruined by freezing, though. You probably wouldn't even need to repitch.

Back