Frozen Fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evets

Reaction score
Today, I went to the grocery store to do a little shopping, and found myself in the frozen food isle, fondling a bag of frozen strawberries:) So, can I make wine from these? Anyone have a recipe for frozen fruit? They also have frozen raspberries, blackberries, and cranberries. I'd like to try them all! I just picked up a couple 3g carboys and I need to fill em up!

The recipes for frozen fruit are the same as fresh fruit. In fact, I freeze my fresh fruit for a day or so to extract more juice from them. You can weigh them still frozen, or of course go by the weight on the package!

I've been recommending Jack Keller's website for wine (jackkeller.net). It's kind of hard to navigate at first, but he has literally hundreds of recipes for fruit. Try this link: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request.asp

There are recipes there, and then you can also click on the "recipes" link to get more. He has over 30 recipes just for dandelion wine. All berries are listed, too.

I just bottled my 5 gallons of blackberry this afternoon. It's great, and it's going to get better after a year or so.

Anyway, here is Jack's recipe from his website for frozen strawberries:

Frozen Strawberry Wine

3 lbs. frozen strawberries
1 11-oz. can Welch's 100% White Grape Juice Frozen Concentrate
1 lb 14 oz. light brown sugar
2 tsp. citric acid
1/4 tsp. grape tannin
water to make 1 gallon
1 tsp. yeast nutrient
1 sachet Red Star Côte des Blancs wine yeast

Thaw strawberries and grape juice concentrate. Dissolve sugar in 5 pints water and bring to boil. Strain juice or syrup from fruit and save liquid. Put thawed fruit in nylon straining bag in primary and crush fruit with hands. Pour boiling water over fruit, cover primary, and set aside to cool. When cooled to 80-85° F., add grape juice concentrate, tannin, acid, yeast nutrient, reserved juice or syrup, and 1 pint water. Stir well to blend ingredients. Add activated yeast, cover and stir daily. Do not further crush, mash or squeeze bag of strawberry pulp. Remove bag on 7th day and allow to drip drain, saving drippings. Return drippings to primary and transfer to secondary fermentation vessel. Top up to one gallon if required, attach airlock and set aside. After 45 days, rack into secondary containing 1 Campden tablet dissolved in a little wine and reattach airlock. Rack again after additional 60 days. Stabilize wine when clear and rack after additional 45 days. Bottle and age at least 6 months.

This uses welch's as a body building ingredient, as strawberry wine can be quite thin. Also, this recipe is for one gallon. If you want to make 3 gallons (for your carboy!), just triple the recipe except for yeast.

There are other strawberry wine recipes on the website.

Lorena

WOW! Thanx, Lorena! You're the best! I'll be making this/these within the next week or two, for sure. My first cider has been in the primary for a week and starting to slow down. I'll probably rack next weekend and start the strawberry.

OK, So I just went out and got my ingeidients, and now I have a question.
The Welchs 100% white can says it contains sulphite. Will this be a problem for my yeast? It also contains Citric and Ascorbic acids. Should I still follow the recipe as far as the Citric acid is concerned?

Well, ideally there wouldn't be sulfites in it but I think it'll be ok. Maybe make up your must today, and make a starter for this batch with your yeast and nutrient. Let them both sit overnight, loosely covered. Stir up the must, as maybe the sulfite will disipate somewhat. Tomorrow, add some of the must to the starter. In a couple of hours (or after work if you have to work!) add some more must to the starter. Do this until it's going quite well, adding more and more. This should help get the yeast used to the sugar/sulfite mix in your must. Then dump it all in. When I use campden tablets, my yeast doesn't suffer. Most recipes suggest you add yeast about 12-24 hours after sulfiting.

I'd skip the acid for now, letting taste be my guide. You can always add it later.

By the way, pay special attention to not squeeze the bag of strawberries to extract more juice. I think you'd get a pectin haze and the wine would be difficult to clear.

Let me know how this goes- I might try it myself!

Lorena

Thanx again Lorena. Sounds like good advice. I won't have a primary freed up til next weekend, but I'll keep you posted. Cheers
Ev

I'm making this today, as per the recipe and Lorenas' advice. I actually crushed my berries this morning at about 5 AM and made a yeast starter which I'm about to pitch, now.:) I picked up a 96 Oz can of Elderberry base this afternoon. That'll take care of the other 3g carboy. A friend also agreed to sell me a gallon of raspberry flower honey today for my first mead, but that's another forum!;)

Ok, so, tonite, I racked to secondary. The wine already has a pretty good flavor with a fair amount of sweetness. Not as dry as I expected, even tho the gravity went form 1.085 to 0.98. It's actually still making lots of bubbles. I'm not really sure what's going on. I thought it was done a couple days ago. Is it still fermenting, or just gassing out, or something?

i actually started this a few days ago before reading this post. i chopped strawberries and raisens in blender. do u think this will be a major problem?

The wine could just be releasing co2, but it could still be fermenging a little. It could go as low as. 990. Now it's time for patience- it'll clear up and drop some sediment. You should rack it every 30 to 45 days as long as sediment is dropping. When it's clear and drops no more sediment, it's done. You can then either backsweeten (after stabilizing), or drink dry.

As far as the strawberries and raisins in the blender, you might get a pectin haze that will never clear. If you strain it when you rack to secondary, it might help some.

Lorena

lorenae said:
The wine could just be releasing co2, but it could still be fermenging a little. It could go as low as. 990. Now it's time for patience- it'll clear up and drop some sediment. You should rack it every 30 to 45 days as long as sediment is dropping. When it's clear and drops no more sediment, it's done. You can then either backsweeten (after stabilizing), or drink dry.

As far as the strawberries and raisins in the blender, you might get a pectin haze that will never clear. If you strain it when you rack to secondary, it might help some.

Lorena

oh ok, as long as it doesn't effect the taste too much. i did add some pectinase... hopefully that helps. i will definately filter.

Back