Frozen Cider in Keg! WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarEagleBrewer

Reaction score
So, I just went out to my shed with my nifty "we don't need no stinking beer gun" rig to bottle my wife some of her apple cider (9% apfelwien diluted with apple juice to 5%). I took the keg out of the fridge, disconnected the line to the faucet, purged the tank, connected the "beergun" line, and turned the gas back on. As I started filling the first bottle, I got a lot of foam....and then nothing! I knew it wasn't empty......so i purged the keg and opened the lid......FROZEN SOLID! One big ice cube of frozen cider. It's like it happened instantly. The other keg of 6% beer I have in the fridge still flows like normal. WHAT HAPPENED???

The fridge temp is at 40F. I can't get a sample from the frozen keg, obviously, but i will go check the other one. Back in a min.

Aaaaaand here's my sign. Would you hold it for me? I went back out to put a cup of water in the fridge overnight to see if it froze.....and saw the fridge was set to the absolute coldest setting possible. It's not digital, just plastic turn dial.....so out of curiosity, I checked the other keg.....yup, it's frozen too. I can settle for stupid as long as I'm not crazy. Thank you for sending me back out there to check it out. I'm going to rest my brain now.

Back