Frost on the keg, Good or bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmurphy67

Reaction score
I am a new operator of a kegorator thanks to my brother moving overseas. Couple questions for anyone that can help.

1. I have a keg of Dos XX for about a week now. The keg has a thin layer of frost on it, Is that bad - should I turn down the fridge unit a bit? It still pours.

2. it would pour better but after I finally got the keg cold - the tap won't bend. I can't get beer to pour out. It worked on Monday. I tried to take the tap apart but it didn't help. Gonna get a new draft tower tomorrow, Is 4 years old anyway.

Glad to be here. Thanks for any help.

chris

Sounds like you froze your lines if not your keg too. Been there done that. Put a thermometer in a glass of water and set it in the kegerator for a few hours and see what the temp is at. Adjust it from there.

That sounds like a good idea. But I did get 2 cups of beer out of the tap as I was messing around trying to get the tap to work. But I still think the temp is a bit low. Thanks

You may be right. I had pulled the draft tower off the fridge and now I can pull the tap. But I put it back on and now I can't get beer to come out.

I am not a mechanical guy. Turned the fridge down to 4 from 6. Hopefully that will help by tomorrow.

I have a home built kegerator, not a keezer so mine works a little different, but I have my temperature probe in a bottle of water, so its much more accurate.

cmurphy67 said:
You may be right. I had pulled the draft tower off the fridge and now I can pull the tap. But I put it back on and now I can't get beer to come out.

I am not a mechanical guy. Turned the fridge down to 4 from 6. Hopefully that will help by tomorrow.

It should thaw out fairly quickly and your beer will be just fine. This time tomorrow you'll be sipping a cold one with no problems I'm sure. I'd still put a thermometer in there so you'll know what the temp is. It's good to know for carbing since psi will vary with temp.

Back