Fridge issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummerboyas157

Reaction score
I am having trouble keeping a fridge at 60 degrees. Either the fridge is off or being in a cold garage it keeps at around 45 degrees on warm setting. Is this normal or does my fridge just suck? my garage gets really cold in Colorado winters.

You need to look into getting an external thermostat. That should take care of your problem.

Refrigerators and chest freezers are designed to either keep food cold or frozen, respectively.

A good unit is not supposed to rise above their highest setting which considering their purpose, won't be much above cold or nearly freezing so trying to make them maintain 60 degrees in a 45 degree ambient location won't work.

Home Brewers often modify a fridge or freezers intended function to maintain specific temperatures through use of a Temperature Controller. The controller monitors the temperature inside the fridge or freezer by way of a temperature probe inserted in the respective compartment and then an automated switch applies power to the cooling or warming device chosen.

Try researching dual stage temperature controllers. They will turn your fridge or chest freezer into a temperature controlled environment..

Many threads here on HBT about temperature control.

:mug:

thanks everyone. I just ordered a dual stage on ebay. Cant wait to put it all together and get it working.

Make sure you get a heating element of some sort as well. A 100W incandescent light bulb is a cheap and easy solution to rig up or you can place the fermenter in a tub of water with an aquarium heater.

Back