Fridge/freezer combo and temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbedard41

Reaction score
Looking to get a fridge for temp controlled fermentation. Would like one with a freezer. Question is will freezer still work with temp control in fridge portion?

Not really, sorry. It will get cold when the unit runs, but won't get/stay frozen unless the ambient temp is high enough to keep the fridge running a lot. Ironically, the freezer section could be coldest in the summer. I use my "freezer" for specialty grain storage.

I think it might be possible to do this by controlling the fridge section damper with an external controller (that operates in fermentation temp ranges). This would require some internal re-wiring.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this. There may be good reasons not to try this.

With most modern fridges, the freezer most likely wouldn’t freeze with a temp controller set for fermentation temps. Some older units, however, might still keep the freezer colder.

My kegerator is a vintage 1959 GE. It was probably one of the first “modern” refrigerators, with thin wall construction, freezer on the bottom, provision for an ice maker, etc. What’s different about it is that it has two evaporator coils, one for the fridge, one for the freezer. With my temp controller set to 38° F the freezer stays frozen, although not as cold as if it were operating independent of the temp controller.

I just checked, and with the fridge at 38, the freezer is at 0° which is cold enough to store hops, etc. If I’d defrost the freezer it would probably be colder.

Back