Fridge for kegs won't fit through the door :((

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkeeg

Reaction score
Grrr... bought a fridge for my keg system and it's a half inch too wide to fit into the room it is needed in.... :((

I think I'll have to take off the fridge door AND the doorframe to the room.

Just thought I'd come here to complain, sorry.

Anyone else ever do this?

NO, but I bought a new fridge instead of Craigslisting one in part because it came with free delivery. I don't speak Spanish, but I'm pretty sure I know what the dudes were muttering when I told them it was going down in the basement... :D

No, but we recently had to drop $2200 on a sectional couch for our new media room in the basement (man, the fuggin 42" Aquos was only $800!!) because there was no way to get a regular couch in there. The sectional IS nice, though...

Came really darn close. The way the basement is, I have to bring in anything like that from outside, not through our inside door. And the Outside door is very short and just 36" or 32" (can't recall), whichever is the standard size. It JUST allows the appliances through touching on both sides.

try removing all the fridge door hinges too. maybe the trim on the door frame.

used to deliver appliances when i was 18.

When my business partner moved into her house in Oakland, we had to widen the front door by 10" to get her desk in. Since the house is one of those round cedar things, making the cut wasn't too bad. I stuck hinges on the cut section.

Removing the door frame isnt so bad. Just carefully pop loose the casing, run a reciprocating saw through the nails (where you see the shims) and pop the doorframe out as a single unit. Once you get the refer through, just hang the door as if it were new.
There should be at least a 1/2" on each side in addition to the jamb. It will probably be more than that. You may not even need to pull the doors and hinges from the refer.

I had to take the door off my old kegerator when it was still a fridge to get it into the kitchen. That was a pita! TGFCF! (chest freezers)

Is it an interior door or exterior door you are having problems with? If yah have sliding glass doors you can take those out easily. Open the outer one a little bit, lift it up and pull the bottom out then let the top fall out. repeat for the inner door. Should have all the room you need.

Thats what I've always had to do

(I've been a Carpenter for 16 years) Ok first trick. pull the doors (on the fridge & the house) Now if it's close, you don't have to remove the door jamb. There is a piece of wood running vertically in the middle of the jamb. It's what we call a door stop. you can use a flat bar or stiff putty knife to remove it, or both of them. Unless your home is like mine (1927 sears catalog home) and it's got a 29 1/2" back door, you should be able to get just about anything through there. Then just use finish nails to put em back up (with the door closed)

Thanks for the thoughts guys,

It's an interrior door to the storage room.

The funny part is, it has always just been an opening in the wall, and I only just installed the door last week... *L* It's a 28", and the fridge is about 29. Even taking the door and doorstop off won't quite let it though, so I guess it's off with the whole jamb. Oh well. Not a huge deal. I just thought I'd share my foolishness with everyone.

PS: Stay tuned (hopefully soon!) for pics of the completed bar

We were moving the kegerator from the workshop downstairs, to the living room upstairs (i live with 2 other men if you are wondering how i was aloud to put a kegerator in the living room)...but it wouldn't fit through the door at the top of the steps, so we had to lift it over our fence into our neighbors yard and use their stairwell to the front of the house, then go through the front door (i live in a row house so there is no direct access from the front to the back for us)

Back