Freshly mixed campden tablets - no sulfur smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calmingapple

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a bag of campden tablets from a small supply store that has a great reputation. I took 4 campden tablets, crushed them up well, and added it to a cup of warm water to create a quick sanitizing solution just before putting an airlock on a carboy, I noticed that the just mixed solution did not have a sulfur smell at all but more of a mild detergenty smell.

Side note: I have no idea if the tablets are sodium or potassium metabisulphite. The label just reads campden tablets.

Should I presume the campden tablets lost potency somehow and just chuck it? Any idea how one "tests" the potency of such a thing?

Many thanks!

Buy some powdered potassium metabisulfite and throw out your camden, might as well use the good stuff from the start of your new hobby and get rid of the beginners pills, assuming you can use a measuring spoon:) Go ahead and get a pound, you will then have plenty to make solutions all year and not have to deal with grinding up pill. Dont take a big sniff of your powdered sulfites, it will burn your nose. also drop in some citric acid into your sanitising solution to acidify the mix, sulfites work best in acidic solution. WVMJ

My thinking as well WVMJ! Thanks. I was unsure only because I had read somewhere that campden had to be "woken up" with citric acid. So I didn't know if it was a dud or not.

Yes I added citric acid to my k-meta from day one

Cheers for the help

Buy some powdered potassium metabisulfite and throw out your camden, might as well use the good stuff from the start of your new hobby and get rid of the beginners pills, assuming you can use a measuring spoon:) Go ahead and get a pound, you will then have plenty to make solutions all year and not have to deal with grinding up pill. Dont take a big sniff of your powdered sulfites, it will burn your nose. also drop in some citric acid into your sanitising solution to acidify the mix, sulfites work best in acidic solution. WVMJ

Back