Fresh, Wet Hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyVegas

Reaction score
So, my buddy has a copious amount of Mt. Hood, Nugget, and Newport that are still on the vine and ready to go...

I'm thinking a few things.

1) Brew a super basic pale ale 3 times, and wet hop (somehow) with all three individually for 3 different brews. I know MT. Hood is pretty much the only aroma one on there, but perhaps if I adjust accordingly I can make it work? I'd probably use a standard bittering pellet hop for this to keep consistency on the brews, and try to use the fresh hops from 30m onward...

2) Get a good recipe going to utilize the bittering Nugget and Newports fresh, as well as the MT. Hoods fresh for aroma. I've heard conflicting reports thats a waste of fresh hops.

3) Dry out some of the harvest to use at a later date or for bittering in these brews...

4) Use a mash tun as a HopBack and run the finished brew through there prior to chilling.

Thoughts?

Only one I'd skip would be #2, the rest seem ok. Hopback would be my favorite choice as I am working on building mine.

When using fresh wet hops from my plants, I ended up getting a nylon bag. I tried using one of the little hops bags, but you don't realize how much 3 oz of whole hops are volume wise until you actually measure them out haha. Since then I switch to my massive 5 gal paint strainer/grain bag. I clothes pin it to the pot handles to make sure it doesnt touch the bottom (incase it would melt/fuse to my pot haha) and this also allows some freedom with the hops in case you are worried about them being to compact preventing proper utilization!

Since I don't want to absolutely cover my parents house lot with hops, I stuck to 2 cascade plants and will branch out when I get my own place in a few years. I actually rarely use cascade hops, but when it is time to harvest, I brew 2 or 3 batches of Ed's Haus pale ale and my neighbor/fellow HBT member who harvests and keeps the hops does something similar. That way it is less hops to dry and store and it is a great recipe!

I really like the idea of showcasing each hop individually somehow... Thinking a basic pale recipe using each hop exclusively for both bittering and aroma? Should be interesting... not sure how I'd tame the high AAU#'d ones for aromas and such... or if thats a good idea but... come on, it's beer.

3) Dry out some of the harvest to use at a later date or for bittering in these brews...

Thoughts?

I end up wasting a good bit of hops I harvest anyway since I am more comfortable using pellet hops for bittering since I know the exact IBU's. To me I like just brewing EW's haus pale ale since it uses soley cascades and it is cool to use wet hops for all bittering, flavor and aroma both in the boil and dry hopping! Plus the wet hops don't contribute nearly as much trub and they absorb significantly less volume.

I really like the idea of showcasing each hop individually somehow... Thinking a basic pale recipe using each hop exclusively for both bittering and aroma? Should be interesting... not sure how I'd tame the high AAU#'d ones for aromas and such... or if thats a good idea but... come on, it's beer.

Both EdWorts haus pale and John Palmers Lady Liberty Ale are fantastic recipes and allow a lot of room to mess around with hops!

Back