Fresh hop ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbr2547

Reaction score
All - I was thinking of attempting a wet hop ipa using fresh picked cascade only with pellet for buttering and dry for dry hopping.

Has anyone used fresh cascade only? Is ratio 7 to 1 wet to dry?

Yes.

Yes. Although I used a ratio of 5:1. I just kegged my wet hop on Thursday and will be trying i tin another couple days. Overall I used about 40 oz of wet cascade, with some centennial in there also.

tgmartin000 said:
Yes.

Yes. Although I used a ratio of 5:1. I just kegged my wet hop on Thursday and will be trying i tin another couple days. Overall I used about 40 oz of wet cascade, with some centennial in there also.

Have you made in the past? Does it come out tasting much different than dried?

I am doing my wet hop recipe for the first time this week(hopefully). From the research I've done, wet hops don't bitter as well as dry, but they do provide a nice aroma and flavor in late additions. The main difference is more of a grassy "Earthy" type flavor that dry can not recreate. I am planning on using pellets for my early bittering additions and wet hops for the late. Good luck!

I just did a wet hopped House Ale on Sunday, using my first year Cascades. I used the fresh hops for aroma only, in a ratio of 3:1 vs. what I had used in the past. I wanted to use a 5:1 ratio (based on the reading I had done on the topic) but was limited by my harvest.

It's a distinct taste, for sure. Rub fresh-picked hops between your hands - that's exactly how it smells and tastes. Like normal hops, plus a little more fresh-greenish character.

5:1 works; I just start tossing them in by the handful for the last 10 mins of the boil and during chilling. I also dried a few I picked during brew day and used those for dry hopping.

It does, you get a grassier flavor. If you can find it, Great Divide makes a great wet hop beer called Fresh Hop. Should hit the shelves any day now>

Back