Fresco cider yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Z

Reaction score
I picked some up some of this stuff online at some place called The Beverage People. It's made by a company called Renaissance Yeast, Fresco's claim to fame is that it doesn't ever produce hydrogen sulfide. Also known as h2s, rhino farts, rotten egg aroma, etc.

I've used it in two batches so far. And.... it works. Not a trace of h2s. I had a hard time believing it. Even the Lallemand Sensy yeast (which supposedly produces little to no rhino farts) put out a significant amount of hydrogen sulfide.

I can't speak (yet) to the yeast's flavor and aroma properties. The batches haven't finished all the way. And I would need to run at least two identical batches side by side with another yeast to be to make a real comparison. Hence why this isn't really a review and why I can't say whether it is better or worse than existing yeasts.

But I thought I'd let folks know that this stuff really does what it says it does.

I'll probably start another thread about my never ending battle with H2S.

I’m using Fesco on one batch this year, first time. It’s not done yet but it really created a lot of foam compared to other yeast. I never have much trouble with SO2. Do you add yeast nutrient?

Dan

I did add yeast nutrient, as per the suggestion of the manufacturer. Just because it doesn't produce rhino farts doesn't mean it can go without nutrients.

I'm starting to think my issues with h2s are mostly the fault of my own process. It happens too often and with too many different yeasts not to be such. Though I have noticed that red wine yeasts seem to be worse about it than others.

I didn't get more foaming than normal but I did use Fermcap S to reduce foaming (and it mostly worked).

Renaissance Yeast makes other strains but I can't seem to find them in small quantities. Only Fresco and only from The Beverage People.

I just racked my Fresco cider. Finished at 1.000 or so, quite tart (not a yeast attribute) but nice and clean. I don’t know the apples at all so can’t compare with a similar batch with different yeast.

The cider Is tart and a little bland, not fruity. I added some pressed black currants and Oregon Grape Juice. Brought the SG to 1.012. Hope the yeast wakes up.

I had read that the non sulfide yeast can be a little bland. But the manufacturer makes a variety of these yeasts. I'd like to try them all but I can't justify getting a 500 gram brick of yeast when I make one to two gallon batches.

Lalleman/Lavlin has at least two strains that are supposedly very low hydrogen sulfide producing yeasts. I tried one of them (Sensy) and it did produce rhino farts. As I said, probably my fault.

Back