French beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfish713

Reaction score
My sister is going to Pairs for 2 weeks for her mba and would like to know what beers she should bring me home. I am a ipa fan and don't know a lot about French beers. Any suggestions on what she could bring me home?

Kronenbourg 1664 is the only French beer that I know I've had. While maybe a little better than Stella, Heineken, or other generic Euro lagers, it's nothing special.

Maybe she could find some saisons?

"Jenlain" is quite easy to find - a bier de garde from the NE of France. In a similar vein, "Ch'Ti", "La Goudale" and "3 Monts" are also easily available.

Mont Saleve from the Haute-Savoie region makes some decent beer.

For a French-style DIPA, Dalva from Brasserie Thiriez is worth checking out.

Kronnenbourg 1664 or Belle Brasseuse are the main French Beers. There is also a beer called Desperados which I would call a bastard child of Tequiza and Bud Lite Lime. Honestly nothing special. As others have said, the French do wine and leave the beer to the Belgians.

I'd suggest checking out 3 Monts (saint-Sylvestre), Cervoise Lancelot, Gavroche, and Kerné (have a google :) )

Back