Freezer not getting cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
I just picked up a 10CUFT Freezer the other day from a couple that "said" it was working fine, and they didn't need it anymore. I plugged it in for a few hours, and it doesn't seem to be getting cold, but the Embraco PW 4.5 A compressor I touched, and it was pretty hot. Any ideas?

having tried my hand at appliance repair, your best case scenario is that the problem is the compressor start relay is defective. this is an easy, cheap fix. the worst case is that the refrigerant line has a crack in it somewhere. if this is the problem, you're best off taking it to a scrap yard.

iirc, with a bad start relay, you'll have some clicking of the compressor and it might get hot but it won't really run at all. if it is the refrigerant line, you'll have a more robust run from the compressor and you'll even here some activity in the lines, but it won't get cold. it might cool down a little bit, and some of the lines might be cool to the touch.

most start relays are simple little devices. find it, take it out, take it apart, and inside there is usually a ceramic disc. if you see some scorching on this disc, that was probably the problem. often you can just rotate the disc and the problem is solved for $0.

it could also be the thermostat or something else. if it is an auto-defrost model, there are some other potential problems. what is the model of the freezer?

did you leave it sit for a day or two after moving it before you plugged it in?

I didn't plug it in immediately, it was after a day I believe. I did move it around in my garage before I plugged it in, why are you asking that?

having tried my hand at appliance repair, your best case scenario is that the problem is the compressor start relay is defective. this is an easy, cheap fix. the worst case is that the refrigerant line has a crack in it somewhere. if this is the problem, you're best off taking it to a scrap yard.

iirc, with a bad start relay, you'll have some clicking of the compressor and it might get hot but it won't really run at all. if it is the refrigerant line, you'll have a more robust run from the compressor and you'll even here some activity in the lines, but it won't get cold. it might cool down a little bit, and some of the lines might be cool to the touch.

most start relays are simple little devices. find it, take it out, take it apart, and inside there is usually a ceramic disc. if you see some scorching on this disc, that was probably the problem. often you can just rotate the disc and the problem is solved for $0.

it could also be the thermostat or something else. if it is an auto-defrost model, there are some other potential problems. what is the model of the freezer?

I have noticed one of the lines is a "little" cold now but not much, I'll keep watching it. I have added a few pictures, not sure where that relay is. It sounds like the compressor is running ok, I don't here any clicking.

freezer 011.jpg

freezer 013.jpg

freezer 015.jpg

if i had to guess, i'd say you are SOL. the relay is that chunky bit to the side of the compressor. good luck!

Should have had them plug it in before you showed up to prove it worked...you gambled and lost it sounds like :(

Should have had them plug it in before you showed up to prove it worked...you gambled and lost it sounds like :(

We plugged it in, and it turned on, so I "assumed" it was working. I'll leave it on all day today, and see if it will start working or not. If by tonight, it's still not cooling, then I'll scrap it. I only paid $25 for it, so I can live with it.

I didn't plug it in immediately, it was after a day I believe. I did move it around in my garage before I plugged it in, why are you asking that?

Many "fridges" get transported on their sides sometimes, and it causes the oil to migrate to places it ought not be..............Therefore , you should let them sit in their "normal" position for 24-48 hours so the oil can hopefully find it's way back home.

Though, it it is not a foolproof method.

Many "fridges" get transported on their sides sometimes, and it causes the oil to migrate to places it ought not be..............Therefore , you should let them sit in their "normal" position for 24-48 hours so the oil can hopefully find it's way back home.

Though, it it is not a foolproof method.

If that is the case, I could turn it back off, then turn it back on in the morning. Thanks.

Well my small wine fridge I have been using for a 1 keg system. The keg is very light right now, I went ahead and bottle 2 bombers and 1 regular bottle. So my plan is tonight, to drink it until it's gone :D

My choc oatmeal stout I need to get kegged asap, that is why I was trying to get this keezer setup asap to handle both kegs, but I should be able to empty this one tonight, fill and put the 2nd one in tomorrow.

I have let this sit for a good 4 days now, and just turned it back on. I heard it click about 8 times or so, before I started hearing a steady hum out of it. So I'm wondering if I do need to replace the relay? So is this an easy thing to take off and inspect before I try it?

I went ahead and ordered a Relay. I'll leave this turned off until it comes, replace it, and then fire it back up and see what happens.

I think it's time to shoot this freezer. I replaced the relay, and still the same issue. I have less than $50 invested into this now, so I guess I'll junk it.

We plugged it in, and it turned on, so I "assumed" it was working. I'll leave it on all day today, and see if it will start working or not. If by tonight, it's still not cooling, then I'll scrap it. I only paid $25 for it, so I can live with it.

I hope you took it back and left it on their lawn in the middle of the night.

Latest posts

Back