Freezer issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsncrabs

Reaction score
Recently my keezer has been having a hard time keeping temps in the serving range. Tempas are always 5-10 degrees higher than setting. The attached pic shows a small area that frosts up. A separate thermometer reads the same as my Johnson controller. Any ideas? Do i have a freon leak? Is it toast? The seal appears to be good around the temp probe pictured, so i dont think its due to that. The freezer is at least 5 years old I believe.

Attachments

• Freezer.jpg
    Freezer.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 103
The frost building up is due to an improper seal where the probe wire goes in. Air is leaking in. If the probe is in free air, it is not sensing the liquid temp of your kegs. Placing the probe in water or against one of your kegs with some foam insulation over it will provide a better temp reading. The air temp will fluctuate wildly which is fine, but not good for the temp controller to see.

If the walls get cold and start to freeze, then no refrigerant leak I would wager.

This ^

You need to have the probe in some sort of liquid. While the temps of the AIR in the freezer are fluctuating wildly, not so much the temp of the beer. Still, put the probe in liquid.

Thank you. I agree there could be a seal issue, but I have never placed the probe in water in all these years I have been brewing and never had temp issues. (I will of course try that. ). The problem is that recently temps spike to upper fifties when set for mid forties. Last week we were in the upper eighties and temp went to 59. This has never happened even in the summer months when we hit 90s all the time. That's why I am concerned. Normally temps range up to about 50 when set to 45. Today it is chilly and raining and I am sitting perfectly around 45.

I recently did a repair on a unit someone gave me that hadn’t been used for 3 years, so developed a refrigerant leak. A bullet valve and pressure gauge showed I was pulling vacuum on the low pressure line out of the compressor. Adding refrigerant brought the unit back to perfect running order. It may not make sense if haven’t heavily modified your chest freezer, but this one was collared with several taps, so made sense for me. Cost me $30 in tools and materials...

If you haven’t modified it, prolly better to simply get a new one. If you’d rather save that cash for a different upgrade, you can keep the system operable with a refrigerant recharge on the cheap. It may not be your issue, though - I used my infrared thermometer to take surface temp measurements of my cooling coil. When they weren’t even dropping to near freezing and the compressor wasn’t pulling a high amperage, a low charge was the diagnosis. If you like fixing things, worth the $30 if only for the experience. If not, take it as an opportunity to pick up a bigger freezer unit ;-)

Ah, that was your point? OK :)

Yes, the cost of a "technician" installing the fittings to simply allow testing for a tight system vs a leak can eclipse the worth of an older unit, nevermind filling same - and certainly not covering an actual repair (pretty much "forgetaboutit" in most cases).

fwiw, my first keezer exhibited the same symptoms as the OP's after five years of service - which was the last 5 years of its 20 year life span (a Craig's List purchase). I'm fairly certain the evaporator loop had rusted to the point of failure. Fortunately my instrumentation system picked up on the increasing compressor activity and gave me enough warning to get the replacement keezer ready to go...

Cheers!

Sorry I wasn't providing good info with my questions. SWMBO wasnt happy to hear I needed another freezer as I just replaced fermentation chamber last year. I was hoping for a fix. It sounds as if even if I attempt a freon fill, I could be wasting my money.

If you find and repair the leak or if the leak is so slow that it takes years to lose enough of the charge or if you are willing to top the system up from time to time then it is, IMO, worth the trouble but it is, ultimately, up to you to decide that. Now this assumes that the leak is on the high side. If it is on the low side after enough gas has been lost the suction side will go into vacuum when the compressor runs and air will be drawn in further reducing the ability of the machine to cool. To fully restore operation that air would have to be removed. But then in the video posted in No. 6 the guy admitted air when he tried to purge his gas line when the low side was in vacuum and it still worked to the point where it produced ice cubes.

While on the subject of the video: He stated that the gauge reading is an indicator of how full the system is with refrigerant. That's not true except crudely but the gauge can be used, along with the temperature reading, to determine how full the evaporator is and evaporator fullness is how the proper charge is set. The numbers on the scale on the gauge which is labeled R134A are the temperatures at which the refrigerant boils at the pressure indicated on the adjacent pressure scale. Thus, when he states his goal of charging to 5 psig we look at the R134A scale and see that -5°F is adjacent to 5 psig. That means that when pressure reads 5 psig the evaporator temperature will be -5 °F which seems a reasonable temperature for a freezers coil and probably realizing 5 psig is sufficient. If you want to do it right, though, you charge to 5 psig and then measure the temperature of the suction line where it exits the evaporator. That temperature should be about 6° ( the manufacture will have the exact number) above what the pressure gauge indicates as the boiling temperature. This indicates that the evaporator is mostly, but not completely, full of boiling refrigerant. If the temperature difference is greater than about 6 ° the evaporator is not as full as it should be and more refrigerant should be added.

He goofed and admitted air when he indicated that he had heard that one should purge the refrigerant fill line by loosening the connector at one end. That is true but he did it when the system was under vacuum. Do this but do it when the system is not running so it is all under positive pressure. Some refrigerant gas will be expelled from the end of the tube displacing any air in it which is a good thing. As the refrigerant is R134A there is no concern about the small amount released. Those cans of Dust Off and similar products work by blowing R134A onto whatever you are trying to clean.

Last edited:
Back