Freeze grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Ought a recipe but can't brew for three weeks probably. What can I do with the grain to keep it at its freshest? Will freezing it work best?

that's what i do. keeps it fresh, especially if milled already. not necessary, but it's a habit i picked up early on. if not milled. don't even worry about it

For 3 weeks I wouldn't worry about it, especially if they aren't ground yet. If they weren't sitting at your house, they'd be sitting somewhere else. Freezing won't hurt if it makes you feel better, but really not needed in my opinion. I've had kits sit longer with no ill effects.

Even crushed. They are in sealed bags and almost vacuumed sealed. So no worries I guess

Main thing is to keep them dry, sealed and cool. There are lots of threads on the subject. If you search "how long do milled grains last" you will find more opinions than you probably want to read. For 3 weeks you'll be fine as long as you don't store in a warm place. You may find critters if stored too warm.

What temp would u consider to warm? It's been sitting in my living room for a few weeks close to a month around 70

I've never read anything about the effects of freezing on the diastatic enzymes...my assumption is that all is well, however that is my only question with regard to freezing. Most plant seeds can survive winter temps so I would think barley could also.

I've never read anything about the effects of freezing on the diastatic enzymes...my assumption is that all is well, however that is my only question with regard to freezing. Most plant seeds can survive winter temps so I would think barley could also.

I've frozen hundreds of pounds of grain, including base grains, without any problem.

Back