Freeware/Opensource BeerMash calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed on that. I'm always impressed with the VS's ability to crank out code, but forget it's gonna require IIS and other jargle.

I think you can work around the limitation's by hosting a virtual windows machine on your linux box, but you point still stands. You're gonna pay one way or another, as opposed to Tomcat and Java, which will run on either platform.

Plus, trying to develop ASP.NET and C# code with express is a pain from what I've heard. It won't allow you to develop in one IDE without the Paid version.

I still like the idea of a web app for this, considering we've already got so much on this forum. It seems like it'd just be step forward as part of HBT.com.

heh...post 404'd!

Developing in c#/asp is a good way to isolate yourself from the general "open source community." I for one would say "meh, another winblows project" and move on with my life. The local storage thing is interesting, but ultimately I think a "server-side" (even if it's ran on a single client) solution is easier and more straight forward. Sqlite is just a library and a file - no database "server" is needed. And if/when you want to be multiclient, just "upgrade" to mysql.

of course, I feel almost the same way about java as I do about c#. PHP, at least it's not java ;)

The local storage thing is interesting, but ultimately I think a "server-side" (even if it's ran on a single client) solution is easier and more straight forward. Sqlite is just a library and a file - no database "server" is needed. And if/when you want to be multiclient, just "upgrade" to mysql.

another problem with local storage is that its great for whe you only use one computer. but if you change compies, all of your data is gone.

Developing in c#/asp is a good way to isolate yourself from the general "open source community." I for one would say "meh, another winblows project" and move on with my life. <snip>

of course, I feel almost the same way about java as I do about c#. PHP, at least it's not java ;)

I'm of the opinon that you use the right language for the right job. While .net code is more closed in terms of libraries used, you can still release the work you do.

To me there's really no reason to have yet another windows only brew software. Some may say "but it may run under wine" or "it may run under mono." That's no better than beersmith and promash, then.

Of course. Even if it were a C# app, it'd have to run under Mono with 2.0 framework. But that's all stuff I've never even attempted.

For desktop app, I, in my certainly limited experience, would go Java. You'd get platform interoperability at no cost. Heck, even PDF generation is free. For web application, I'd look at Servlets or ASP.NET.

IMO a Web App would be better simply because i could then access it with my iphone / blackberry / palm / mobile device in real time. And really there is no reason to do server side scripting other than to process data updates / store data (i'm talkin ajax baby!), raw calculations could be done via client side scripting, and will handel pretty much anything you throw at it now. I would suggest using the ajax library Jquery(jquery.com), as its got some heavy hitters backing it(google for one).
I've thought of doing this my self, even bought a domain at one point, just never had the time to start it, myhomebrew.org.

I have been using beerblogger for a while now and like it so far. It's an open source tool that will run with a simple LAMP stack. The new beta version has some nice additions to it... including mobile browser compatibility.

Latest posts

Back