Free Water Test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuickSilver08

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share a recent find: http://www.aquascience.net/free-water-test.cfm

Info. from the site:

Send us your name and mailing address, and we'll mail you a water test kit. Once you receive the kit, follow the instructions included and mail it back to us (postage included / Continental US only).

Once we receive your sample, we will mail or email your results and a quote for a system that will resolve your water issues (if requested). We promise not to follow up with any additional phone calls or emails. (for faster results, send us your own bottle)

This test includes pH, TDS (Total Dissolved Solids), Hardness, Iron, Iron Bacteria, Manganese, Copper, Nitrates, Sulfides, and Tannins.

I am still quite new to brewing and have never had my water tested. Do the listed paramaters cover everything for a "brewing profile?"

This test includes pH, TDS (Total Dissolved Solids), Hardness, Iron, Iron Bacteria, Manganese, Copper, Nitrates, Sulfides, and Tannins.

A brewer is more interested in alkalinity than anything else with hardness being in second place but a brewer wants to know calcium and magnesium hardnesses separately. Also very important brewers are sulfate (not sulfide), chloride and sodium at the top level with nitrates, iron, potassium and nitrate and nitrite of secondary interest. This test has some things a brewer is interested in but lacks some very important information from a brewer's perspective. It is better suited to selling neutralizers, softeners and iron removal equipment than brewing.

a brewer is more interested in alkalinity than anything else with hardness being in second place but a brewer wants to know calcium and magnesium hardnesses separately. Also very important brewers are sulfate (not sulfide), chloride and sodium at the top level with nitrates, iron, potassium and nitrate and nitrite of secondary interest. This test has some things a brewer is interested in but lacks some very important information from a brewer's perspective. It is better suited to selling neutralizers, softeners and iron removal equipment than brewing.

it's free

A brewer is more interested in alkalinity than anything else with hardness being in second place but a brewer wants to know calcium and magnesium hardnesses separately. Also very important brewers are sulfate (not sulfide), chloride and sodium at the top level with nitrates, iron, potassium and nitrate and nitrite of secondary interest. This test has some things a brewer is interested in but lacks some very important information from a brewer's perspective. It is better suited to selling neutralizers, softeners and iron removal equipment than brewing.

Thank you

Thanks. I forgot to mention that if you live in an area where any of the residents have wells there will be water treatment outfits that maintain/repair/install these wells. Most of them will test your water for free doing a similar set of tests. These are not sophisticated tests but will give you an idea as to hardness.

zazbnf said:
Pm me your address, I'll make sure they find you. (Every Saturday morning until you tie a pitbull to your front porch. I speak from experience) :drunk:

Nah, I'm good. Thanks anyway. My neighbors are Jehovah's Witness and are the best neighbors in the world. I believe this keeps our door step empty:)
Good times thanks for the laugh bro!!

Back