Free shipping on sacks of grain from F.H. Steinbart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has got to be a mistake, right? It seems like they would be losing money on every sack of grain they shipped.

I don't know the details of their shipping deal, so I can't comment there.

I just tossed a "random" sack of Munich (Mecca Grade Metolius, $81.22) in my basket.
I get a choice of 7 shipping options from free shipping and flat rate ($6.99), all the way up to Next Day Air Early a.m. at $531.35.
Haven't gone through placing the actual order, though...

Thanks @deadwolfbones for this deal... This deal seems to good to be true. I have two 55# sacks coming now... I do not need them yet, but they can sit in a closet for a few months, because this deal seems to good to be true. My last sack of Weyermann came from when I was in-store at Morebeer during a 15% off promotion... I think that price was still more than what my sack just cost me, shipped. Note- there are a lot of grains on-sale right now, too- including some craft, too.

Last edited:
Looks like I found where I'm going to buy my 1st sack of mecca grade malts. Thanks for the share.
I was thinking the same, unfortunately they were sold out of the Lamonta that I wanted to try. Looking forward to having 55# of Maris Otter though!

Free shipping, but prices are high.
So, it's "free" shipping

Sacks were as low as $45 or so for base 2-row, which makes it $0.80/lb shipped. Hard to beat that, even at your LHBS. I paid $75ish for some German pils, which was about $1.35/lb, still way cheaper than it was at the LHBS when Bend had one.

Free shipping, but prices are high.
So, it's "free" shipping
I think this applies more to like Northern Brewer than this particular deal.
I agree- you have to watch for the out the door price!
BUT... this deal, in retrospect, may have been in error. I will make sure to throw more business their way in the future, as I feel a little guilty. Also, though.. I feel a little giddy- as deadwolves says above... i have never seen prices this low on shipped grain, ever.

Edit- also, if this was an error, it was mighty fine of them to honor it (as of now- i have not heard anything). So again- makes me want to support them.
If i get a sack of 4 year old grain... well then... if my beer brewing technique is ever good enough to notice, i'll complain!!

Last edited:
Yeah, likewise I will also support them in the future.

I noticed you can add 10# increments and still get free shipping over $40, though it's unclear if there's a weight ceiling.

I also was only charged $78 (0$ shipping) for a bag of Maris Otter, so I hope it worked out for them cost-wise. Same price as my LHBS, but a Malting Company I have never had before, so all good.

Nice work publicizing what you had to have known or at least should have known was an error. With local home brew stores struggling and many going out of business, I am sure broadcasting it helped their bottom line. FH are good people and honored the error but did not deserve such treatment from us.

It certainly wasn't clear to me that it was an error. I agree that lots of businesses are suffering and I'd definitely feel bad if I cost them any money. Since we lost our homebrew shop this spring I've been looking for good deals on shipping and was simply happy to have found one.

Maybe check the condescension?

Apologize for my rant. With the loss of brew shop, I have been searching as well. I saw the error over the weekend but was able to have a buddy pick up and deliver. I guess broadcasting it is what got to me as I would hate to lose another local brew store as the struggle is real. Cheers!

Might not have been an error, could be they got a deal from their distribution due to overall tough sales conditions elsewhere. Maybe they were sitting on too much inventory and just needed to clear thing out.

More beer recently had a couple 15% sales on grain at their local shops.

Their price on Weyerman pilsner was what I was basing my opinion on

I see it at $62.65 for a 55# sack... leave shipping out of it... where are you finding it for less?
I am not trying to argue with you... i have been using Weyermann and am always looking for the best deal.
I usually see it for about $70 before shipping...
Or at Northern Brewer for $90 with "free shipping".

Thanks

(Note these prices above are just for basic Weyermann Pilsner.. not floor malted or Barke).

Yeah I think the deal is done. I am only getting shipping options that are 187$ (3 day shipping) and nothing cheaper... thats a ridiculous shipping cost on 1 bag of grain...

Still the best deal going on mecca. Some of the weyermann looks cheaper also. $1.83/lb vs $2.79 at NB for the mecca pilsner. And free shipping for any quantity over $40. For 50 lb, only $12 more than the sack was with free shipping and if the 10% coupon works, just $3 more. So the deal is still there.

Still the best deal going on mecca. Some of the weyermann looks cheaper also. $1.83/lb vs $2.79 at NB for the mecca pilsner. And free shipping for any quantity over $40. For 50 lb, only $12 more than the sack was with free shipping and if the 10% coupon works, just $3 more. So the deal is still there.

You're still seeing free shipping on sacks of grain?

No. But you can buy 50# of mecca pilsner by the lb for $1.83/lb and get free shipping for a total of $92. If 10% off works, $83. I would guess they would just send the sack rather than repackage. Same order from NB would be $139.50.

No. But you can buy 50# of mecca pilsner by the lb for $1.83/lb and get free shipping for a total of $92. If 10% off works, $83. I would guess they would just send the sack rather than repackage. Same order from NB would be $139.50.

Cool! I has only looked at the full sack prices.

Just got 55 lbs of golden promise for $72 shipped.

Cool! I has only looked at the full sack prices.

Just got 55 lbs of golden promise for $72 shipped.

Where the heck are you getting the cheap shipping?!?! I guess it depends on where you are sending it to? The cheapest option I get is 3 days at $187...

Where the heck are you getting the cheap shipping?!?! I guess it depends on where you are sending it to? The cheapest option I get is 3 days at $187...

On smata67's advice above, I ordered it by the pound, not by the sack. There's still free shipping on the by the pound grain.

Doing a bulk grain order gives me the option of free shipping. I have 60 lbs of grain in my cart and can do free shipping.

This has to be a mistake/glitch, right? I love the price but really don't want them to lose money.

Back