Free Keg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakey971

Reaction score
Hey all.

I was back in South Dakota for some business and I came across a free keg.
Side-of-the-road special!

It says Anheuser-Busch on it, and seems to be in very good condition.
I know absolutely nothing about kegging, and I am just wondering what else I need to start using it.

Thanks in advance!

:mug:

Meh, I have a kettle that does me just fine.
I'd really like to start kegging.
Plus it's kinda tall and skinny. 5 gal I believe.

From what I've been reading in here, Sanke's are pretty worthless
as far as homebrewing goes.

Despite the earlier commentary:

'Found' property has an owner that isn't the finder. Not making an attempt to find the proper owner isn't ethical.

But it's up to you.

Once you are satisified with your ethical positon, either turn it into a keggle or, if you have access to a damn fine welder who can work with stainless steel, I'd consider having someone graft the top of a corney onto your keg and turn it into a 15 gallon corney keg.

Then you will be the envy of every kegging homebrewer.

Hang onto it, but I doubt that you will find an adequate use for it. There are some things you can do with it, but it's really not that conducive to HBing.

Better to wait and trade it or something when someone wants one.

Despite the earlier commentary:

'Found' property has an owner that isn't the finder. Not making an attempt to find the proper owner isn't ethical.

But it's up to you.

Once you are satisified with your ethical positon, either turn it into a keggle or, if you have access to a damn fine welder who can work with stainless steel, I'd consider having someone graft the top of a corney onto your keg and turn it into a 15 gallon corney keg.

Then you will be the envy of every kegging homebrewer.

The 'owner' is Anheuser-Busch.
I'm sure they won't miss it.

you can use it for kegging but they are harder to take apart and clean. and the coupler is a little more costly. I have 2 I was gonna use but may just use them for parties at my camp a couple times a year. the cornies are much easier. But it's free and you could always change later if you decide. All the other keg equipment will be the same for either keg. I got lucky as well and got 2 brewery kegs and couplers for nothing. I'm gonna build a mobile kegerator for my camp

Keep it consider it reparations for Anheuser-Busch's crimes against Beermanity... if only we could get them prosecuted under a military tribunal...

I am all for buying legit kegs, however if that keg flew off the truck on the highway and went through your windshield killing you - I bet AB would be tap dancing in court to avoid paying a red cent to your next of kin. I've been hit with rocks on the highway and always want to give them back to the uncovered trucks driver, never get the opportunity however.

Cut the top off, weld in a coupler with valve and start brewing. Don't waste your time with kegging, use a corny keg instead.

Remove the sankey valve. Use as primary fermenter if it's actually a 1/2 keg (7.5 gal), secondary if it's 5. Take the money you saved on a primary (glass/plastic) and spend it on a corny keg ;-)

Either that or sell it and use that $$ to buy a corny...

Maybe I'm a bad person, but I have no moral objections
to keeping a keg that I found on the side of the road.
Especially when it belongs to the biggest brewery in the country.

They have a lot bigger beer making budget than I.

I like the idea of using it as a fermentation vessel.
Can never have enough of those.

How tough is it to remove the sankey valve?

Springer - Do you disassemble the valve too? Taking the valve out isn't that bad... but taking it apart...

If ya feel like tossing a link up for the valve disassemble...

Springer - Do you disassemble the valve too? Taking the valve out isn't that bad... but taking it apart...

If ya feel like tossing a link up for the valve disassemble...

. I have taken several apart its not hard at all . Yuri already has one Yuri There are a couple of different types of spears I have some like Yuri shows and others that I have to use a pipe on . They have a washer that sits in a groove with three key ways you need to compress the spring and turn the washer I just use the pipe that I dipped in plastic dip push down and twist and it pops out.

Back